IGNORED

Interior Replacement Sequence

Tirnipgreen

I have finally begun the interior replacement / installation on my 1973 240z. Is there an "approved" sequence for installing the interior pieces...? Also...I bought DynaMat sound deadener. My restoration is very detailed and I have spent lots of dollars trying to get it "right". Is it truly a "sin" to use the dynamat...? Thanks...Ryals

I don't know about "approved" but I have re-installed the interior of several Z's now and here's my sequence,

Headliner vinyl, header and side apron vinyl, a second person for the headliner is a big help but it can be done by yourself.

Windshield and quarter windows.

Dynamat or one of the many identical products for sound deadening and heat reflection.

Install the wiring harness.

Install Heater/blower and any AC parts.

Install the dash, then insulation and carpets, plastic panels, add seat belts, then seats.

Actually seats and steering wheel are the absolute last things to go in since you may have to crawl under the dash to correct some wiring fault.

• Like 4

Grannyknot,
I am also restoring a '73 240z and I too have begun to re-install my interior.  You have been a big help to me in the past.  Having said that I was curious why you recommend installing the windshield before installing the dash.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

I don't know about "approved" but I have re-installed the interior of several Z's now and here's my sequence,

Headliner vinyl, header and side apron vinyl, a second person for the headliner is a big help but it can be done by yourself.

Windshield and quarter windows.

Dynamat or one of the many identical products for sound deadening and heat reflection.

Install the wiring harness.

Install Heater/blower and any AC parts.

Install the dash, then insulation and carpets, plastic panels, add seat belts, then seats.

Actually seats and steering wheel are the absolute last things to go in since you may have to crawl under the dash to correct some wiring fault.

This is mostly how I approached the interior renovation.  However, I installed the dash after the insulation, carpets, plastic panels (console excluded), etc.  I replaced the firewall insulation while I was installing insulation.  Also, I replaced the rubber grommets in the floor and in the firewall before insulating.

Edited by SoCalJim

With regard to sound deadener, nothing wrong with using DynaMat, definitely not a sin. On my restoration I plan to use one of the more stock appearing solutions, but that will be a while into the future.  You might also be interested in this thread if you haven't seen it:

5 hours ago, qz16 said:

Grannyknot,
I am also restoring a '73 240z and I too have begun to re-install my interior.  You have been a big help to me in the past.  Having said that I was curious why you recommend installing the windshield before installing the dash.  Thanks.

Well thanks, glad I could help.  I put the windshield in before the dash so I can get right up next to the glass and rubber seal when pulling the trimmer line to bring the seal over the pinch weld. I just feel I have better control of the process  when I have some room to move,  with the dash in place there isn't much room to maneuver the string.  Especially in the bottom R/L corners where you have to rotate the string to get it jump over the pinch weld.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, qz16 said:

Grannyknot,

2 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Well thanks, glad I could help.  I put the windshield in before the dash so I can get right up next to the glass and rubber seal when pulling the trimmer line to bring the seal over the pinch weld. I just feel I have better control of the process  when I have some room to move,  with the dash in place there isn't much room to maneuver the string.  Especially in the bottom R/L corners where you have to rotate the string to get it jump over the pinch weld.

To me, the dash install is so much simpler with the windshield out. And. we've installed a dozen windshields with the dash in place (dash in place - not the finisher). In the beginning, we were using a small cord and it really is much like grannyknot described but I find the lower corners much easier than the upper ("sharper") corners. Once we changed procedure to larger diameter wet cloth as the pull string (1/8" or so cotton cord) it became a non-issue. Decreased the time and effort ten-fold (that's probably an exaggeration - but it's a heck-of-a-lot easier...)

Q, go ahead and install your dash and invite me up when you're ready for glass!

Edited by cgsheen1
  • Like 1