Just a few random observations and comments here from the peanut gallery.  I have two good friends, both PHDs in biochemistry and California State University professors. One thinks the vaccine and mRNA technology is amazing and is very pro-vaccine, the other is on the other side of the coin and won't touch the mRNA vaccine. Both far more knowledgeable than me on the subject, both have their arguments for their stance.  I find that pretty interesting that both highly educated professors have such diverse opinions. 

Also, I have mentioned this before, but I have a hard time with the altruistic argument of getting a vaccine for the safety others being discussed on a car site. 

https://www.nsc.org/newsroom/motor-vehicle-deaths-2020-estimated-to-be-highest

Also, looks like Dr Fauci says our vaccinations may not protect our friends 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.firstpost.com/health/vaccinated-people-can-get-delta-variant-remain-asymptomatic-and-become-carriers-but-shots-prevent-severe-disease-9800741.html/amp&ved=2ahUKEwirperotOrxAhXHK80KHfn4BskQFjAMegQIHRAC&usg=AOvVaw3iUtYVK54bUEf8WO2YJ2Sp&ampcf=1

Just some observations. Feel free to fire away. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Seems like there's enough information out there for people to make a choice.  That was my point in the post with the vaccination-risk comparison.  The same people are coming up with the same arguments, here on the old car site.  Anything can be rationalized.  Just ignore the data and do a Google search.

One of the great ironies of the situation though is that the ones that are claiming their independence are the ones that will most likely need help.  And the ones that are trying to help will be the ones that are the most independent.  Kind of absurd but that's where we are.

Good luck to both sides. 

Edit - also amusing that two vaccinated patients dying, and two professors (actually just one) are being used to argue against millions of real life data points assessed by hundreds of well-educated professionals who actually work in the area under discussion.  But that's how rational minds work, they rationalize.

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Check out the Netherlands.  They "re-opened", plus there was the big Euro 2020 soccer tournament and their caseload is shooting for the sky.  Like hundreds of people all got infected at the same time.  The UK hasn't even lifted restrictions yet, that happens in a couple of days.   Fascinating stuff.  The Olympics will be something to follow.  Coming up.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-cases

image.png

The graph above showing a spike but not a drastic spike for the US is a function of the number of people vaccinated. The US spike is mostly driven by the SE states with Florida passionately leading that charge. 20% of new CV19 cases are from Florida. 

Now as for vaccinators coming to your door, that is unlikely to happen. It is and will happen in other free countries. The Philippines will require vaccination. At present they are rolling it out badly vaccinating only 100K a day or so. With 107M people, you will take until 2035 to vaccinate everyone. Their president has already said he will put people in jail for not getting vaccinated.

As I assume the only medical practitioner in this discussion, I will say that unless you have a valid reason not to get vaccinated you should. mRNA tech is amazing and will likely lead to treatments that change life drastically for the good. If you don't want to get vaccinated because you heard that people get sick after the second shot, the symptoms are certainly annoying but they are temporary and death is permanent. 

The thing that astounds me is the contrast between the American response to WWII and the American response to CV19. My grandmother worked in a factory making C-Rations. She had previously been a housewife. She did that so there would be food for our troops. She sacrificed. 

This is serious. With no response at all, it would have taken out millions in the US alone. Virus' evolve. It's not done. As I said previously, it has in some cases defeated the vaccine which means if you haven't been vaccinated, you may have waited too long. Still, the vaccine seems to be mitigation and that will save lots of lives. 

I have no doubt that some politician is sitting in a meeting in the Netherlands saying "spike yes, but look at what the soccer event did for the economy!" 

Just a small sacrifice could end this. Wait too long and it can't help us. 

In general, I find people who act like sheep to be stupid. The problem here is we have some really bad shepherds. 

Get vaccinated. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

<Sigh...>

So is the Lambda covered well by the current vaccines?

I know it's just a matter of time before this thing uses the unprotected pool of donors to mutate into a form that is NOT picked up by the vaccine, but I'm hoping that hasn't happened yet.

• Agree 1

I haven’t posted on this thread for a myriad of reasons mostly because I have followed Captain Obvious’s advice. Let the medical professionals be your guide. I’m lucky that I’m married to a Doctor and she’s 100% pro vaccine and pro COVID-19 vaccine. She’s blown away there are people not getting vaccinated because of conspiracy theory’s. When in doubt trust your physician and when people make crazy accusations I use Occam’s Razor (Principle of Parsimony) the simplest explanation is usually the most accurate one. The government doesn’t need to fake a pandemic to make you take a vaccine to alter you DNA or whatever you Facebook buddy came up with. There are many more logical avenues to do such a thing if you were so convinced they would do such a thing.
Bruce: to answer you question this might be helpful. Passed to me by a friend who is a doctor and says this guy Is spot on with COVID info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Joking around here, you all know me by now.

After dealing with Xfinity and Roku's "make it impossible to watch but charge the hell out them anyway" attitude I hope I get covid. My family will sleep better knowing I didn't go bat &#036;^&#33;# crazy and handle things myself. LOL

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Well fellas (and ladies), it’s been a rough week!

aa475cd38ce42372099961347d98ed1b.jpg

Auntie ‘rona took a delta flight, came to visit and has not made it a pleasant stay! Our eldest came home from a summer camp at the local school and a few days later we had a text to say one of the kids in his bubble had tested positive.

We tested negative, so we went off onto our long weekend away. A few days later he wasn’t feeling great. We all had PCR tests and except for the eldest they all came back negative.

Soon our youngest had a temp too. We had PCR tests again and all of us were positive! Thankfully none of the friends we were away with are affected. We suspect the close proximity of sitting in a car for 4 hours each way would have done the trick!

I’ve been the hardest hit as I am a man and clearly “man flu” is way worse than anything women experience in life - with the possible exception of childbirth! So my body has been feeling like It’s been tramped on all over by a herd of cows, big headaches, eyes and ears feeling like they’re being pinned / pulled out, big cough, no energy and having the shivers / sweats with 40°c / 104°F temps (a lower temp thermostat didn’t help). Other than that I’ve been tip top!

Feeling better yesterday and hungry again, with a rare occasion of seeing the sun in the sky, we had an isolation bar-b-q for supper ...

15ad5aa833a3d8a0f7e63c5c5e5c9b08.jpg

I could not smell a THING !!! Nothing! Not even standing in the thick smoke could I smell any charcoal!!! The taste has gone too! The burgers tasted like chicken, salmon or frankly anything salty. Mustard, which I can’t normally handle, no trouble at all, lashed it on!!! I can happily chew into an onion and pretend it’s an apple!

My youngest told me that the benefit of having no smell is that I won’t get as cross when I go to brush my teeth and find he hasn’t flushed the loo! Silver linings!!

Anyway gang, the moral of the story is, if someone as fit, healthy and strong as I am, with double vax can crash so hard, I hate to imagine what it must be like for those who’ve refused to vax.

Astra and Zenica have been looking after me.

681ebcb52787e91040a58cccf815fc53.jpg

I suspect my wife’s Pfizer is more effective hence her having a better time of it. Another theory is that (so my doctorfriend tells me) I had a mild version of covid when we got back from Skiing in northern Italy in Feb 2020 (European epicentre of C19 at the time). Apparently if you have had it already you get a stronger immune response to the vaccine and a re-infection - in my case I had a terrible response to the vax.

So long story short, just wanted to say, take care of yourselves, this is nasty stuff and it ain’t gone away just because our politicians say it has or reduce public precautions to suit the narrative of the day. It’s also something we have to learn to live with, so we must keep sensible caution in place.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
27 minutes ago, AK260 said:

Well fellas (and ladies), it’s been a rough week!

aa475cd38ce42372099961347d98ed1b.jpg

Auntie ‘rona took a delta flight, came to visit and has not made it a pleasant stay! Our eldest came home from a summer camp at the local school and a few days later we had a text to say one of the kids in his bubble had tested positive.

We tested negative, so we went off onto our long weekend away. A few days later he wasn’t feeling great. We all had PCR tests and except for the eldest they all came back negative.

Soon our youngest had a temp too. We had PCR tests again and all of us were positive! Thankfully none of the friends we were away with are affected. We suspect the close proximity of sitting in a car for 4 hours each way would have done the trick!

I’ve been the hardest hit as I am a man and clearly “man flu” is way worse than anything women experience in life - with the possible exception of childbirth! So my body has been feeling like It’s been tramped on all over by a herd of cows, big headaches, eyes and ears feeling like they’re being pinned / pulled out, big cough, no energy and having the shivers / sweats with 40°c / 104°F temps (a lower temp thermostat didn’t help). Other than that I’ve been tip top!

Feeling better yesterday and hungry again, with a rare occasion of seeing the sun in the sky, we had an isolation bar-b-q for supper ...

15ad5aa833a3d8a0f7e63c5c5e5c9b08.jpg

I could not smell a THING !!! Nothing! Not even standing in the thick smoke could I smell any charcoal!!! The taste has gone too! The burgers tasted like chicken, salmon or frankly anything salty. Mustard, which I can’t normally handle, no trouble at all, lashed it on!!! I can happily chew into an onion and pretend it’s an apple!

My youngest told me that the benefit of having no smell is that I won’t get as cross when I go to brush my teeth and find he hasn’t flushed the loo! Silver linings!!

Anyway gang, the moral of the story is, if someone as fit, healthy and strong as I am, with double vax can crash so hard, I hate to imagine what it must be like for those who’ve refused to vax.

Astra and Zenica have been looking after me.

681ebcb52787e91040a58cccf815fc53.jpg

I suspect my wife’s Pfizer is more effective hence her having a better time of it. Another theory is that (so my doctorfriend tells me) I had a mild version of covid when we got back from Skiing in northern Italy in Feb 2020 (European epicentre of C19 at the time). Apparently if you have had it already you get a stronger immune response to the vaccine and a re-infection - in my case I had a terrible response to the vax.

So long story short, just wanted to say, take care of yourselves, this is nasty stuff and it ain’t gone away just because our politicians say it has or reduce public precautions to suit the narrative of the day. It’s also something we have to learn to live with, so we must keep sensible caution in place.

So, you have been vaccinated, and you still caught it and got ill from it?

• Like 1
So, you have been vaccinated, and you still caught it and got ill from it?

Yes sirreee! That’s about the long and short of it! And yes it was the delta variant.

However, a week on and I feel a lot better, if only a little weak at times and need to take it easy. Being desperate to be in the fresh air, I did an oil change on the Q5 to force myself out - which was fine at the time but I paid for it within an hour as I had drained all the energy! Very weird for me as I normally exhaust people with my energy and pack way too much into any day.

I am told it would have been a lot worse without the vaxespecially as I get asthma whenever I have flu. So far, it’s just been an intermittent cough without a tight chest. Something to be grateful for!

• Like 2

So glad to hear you're okay and though really bad, it wasn't as bad as it could've been, I guess. 

A good friend of mine is 4 weeks into his delta gift. He's a farmer and still can't be on his feet for longer than 30 minutes.  Can't operate any machinery, feed the cows, fix anything.

Interestingly, he told me he had the J&J vax.  His wife told mine he hasn't been vaxed. I'm staying out of that one.

So here's to a quick complete recovery for you 🍻

• Like 1
So glad to hear you're okay and though really bad, it wasn't as bad as it could've been, I guess. 
A good friend of mine is 4 weeks into his delta gift. He's a farmer and still can't be on his feet for longer than 30 minutes.  Can't operate any machinery, feed the cows, fix anything.
Interestingly, he told me he had the J&J vax.  His wife told mine he hasn't been vaxed. I'm staying out of that one.
So here's to a quick complete recovery for you

Thank you sir. Hope your friend gets better soon too. I wonder if he is feeling silly for not having done it and trying to save face? As you say, best stay out of a marital dispute. LOL
Annual United States Road Crash Statistics

More than 38,000 people die every year in crashes on U.S. roadways. The U.S. traffic fatality rate is 12.4 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants. An additional 4.4 million are injured seriously enough to require medical attention.

Total Deaths Reported from Covid

Current 7-Day Average

1 hour ago, DC871F said:
Annual United States Road Crash Statistics

More than 38,000 people die every year in crashes on U.S. roadways. The U.S. traffic fatality rate is 12.4 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants. An additional 4.4 million are injured seriously enough to require medical attention.

Total Deaths Reported from Covid

Current 7-Day Average

Driving a car is dangerous stuff. Probably the most dangerous thing we all do every day.  Soon our cars will drive themselves and the death rates will be fractional of what they are now.  

• Agree 1
On 8/29/2021 at 11:15 AM, Pilgrim said:

Which is exactly why teachers should be under a vaccination mandate.

Except that being vaccinated only protects the individual vaccinated from the bug. They can still become a carrier and spread it to the unvaccinated.

The only way to eradicate a pest is to destroy it completely. The only way to destroy it completely is to eliminate any viable hosts.

Vaccinating any and all viable hosts is the only way.