IGNORED

HTP Quick Spot II spot welder - quick review

inline6

Hi,

I bought a spot welder: a HTP Quick Spot II spot welder  (along with a Tig welder) over the Black Friday time period (sale still going on now fyi) and was asked by someone reading my "bringatrailer" 240z build thread to share some information about it after I got it up and running.  Well, here goes:

Here is the spot welder.  The special offer is currently $300 off on qualifying products when you buy the Tig welder.  This spot welder counted as a qualifying product, so that is nice...

IMG_20191216_172905.jpg

It comes with the copper arms and tips you see in the pic.  These are good to get you started with making spot welds in basic configurations.  USAWeld sells other tip configurations if you need to spot weld different areas that these tips won't reach.  There is a control panel which allows you to choose parameters for different welding situations.  The settings from left to right in the picture below are basically "on/off pulse power" vs. "continuous" power, selection of thickness of metal being welded, and fine tuning of the duration of weld operation.  There is also a pressure setting, which adjusts the amount of pressure the two contacts close upon the sheet metal with.

IMG_20191216_172911.jpg

The pulse operation can be used for high strength low alloy, galvanized, or weld thru primer coated metals according to the manual.  It uses time between heat pulses to burn away contaminants for a better weld.  Continuous can be used for clean metal.  You follow the guidance in the manual and set the second setting based on the total thickness of the panels being welded.

In the next pic (I only did one sample piece) the welds correspond to the following settings:

Weld order from top left to right to bottom left to bottom right is:  1, 4, 3, 2:

Weld 1: (top left): 175 lbs, continuous, 1 mm + 1 mm, and default duration

Weld 2: (bottom right): 265 lbs, continuous, 1 mm + 1 mm, and default duration

Weld 3: (bottom left): 265 lbs, continuous, 1 mm + 1 mm, and 1 step up from default duration

Weld 4: (top right): 265 lbs, pulse welding, 1 mm + 1 mm, and maximum duration

IMG_20191216_173135.jpg

If it isn't apparent, you should notice that the size of the spot welds is quite small.  That is, the diameter of the "divot" is much smaller than that of the factory spot welds on our Datsuns.  Here is a reference image:

IMG_20191216_173159.jpg

The factory spot weld on the lower edge of this rocker of my 240z (apologies if it is hard to see) is about 5 mm in diameter.  The largest of the example welds done above on the test piece is about 4 mm.  Here is another reference photo:

IMG_20191216_173300.jpg

So, a ready made observation is that the HTP Quick Spot II isn't going to replicate the 240z's factory spot welds.  However, it's kind of close... and if the performance is as good as shown in the video below, then maybe getting factory "performing" spot welds is a box that can be checked with this welder.  And perhaps making them look factory is pretty easily done with a bit of creativity?  I'll be exploring that coming up in the new year in my 240z build thread, if your interested in checking that out. 

Hope this helps someone. 

Garrett

Edited by inline6
  • Like 3

I wonder if you reshaped the copper tips some if the weld puddle would get larger? Maybe flatten the tip some for more contact area. Not suggesting you modify your tips unless they're cheap. Just a thought

they look like they might be reversible

Thanks for this update.

In the video, the commentator points out that the bigger STP model (VersaSpot) produces a weld dimple that's noticeably deeper (and bigger in diameter) than the one produced by the smaller, QuikSpot unit.  He attributes this to the greater clamping pressure (300 lb) generated by the VersaSpot's pneumatic system.  I'm going to guess that the QuikSpot's manual clamping system can't generate much more than 200 lb.

Flattening the tip profile might create some unwanted consequences for weld quality. Here are a few quotes from a feature article on spot welders that appeared in the Spring 2014 issue of the British auto magazine, 'Practical Classics':

• ""Welder power is measured in kVA.  The higher the kVA, the larger the diameter of weld you can achieve.  The points of the arms need to be sharpened regularly to a diameter that creates an effective weld at the given power... The welder must provide enough power the weld tip to melt the material. A 2kVA welder is only suitable for welding thin steel (up to 0.9mm) using short arms.  You'll need a 6kVA machine to weld effectively with longs arms on 1.0mm steel." 

For reference, inlinesix is using a 1.6kVA machine.

The Practical Classics article included a photo of the adjustment guide chart for a 6 kVA machine.  It specifies recommended tip diameter, clamping force and weld pulse time depending on the metal thickness and arm length.    For joining 1.0mm+1.0mm, it recommends that the tips be 'sharpened' to create a flat contact surface of 4.5mm diameter.  Recommended clamping force for a 6" arm is 200 lb.  Recommended weld time is written as 0,28" (which, I believe, is how certain parts of Europe and Asia write what us North Americans would take to be 0.28 seconds).  FYI, 1.0mm sheet = 0.039" (which sits at the thick end of the tolerance range for 20 gauge).

• ""It is important to bear in mind that the longer the arms used, the less power is available at the weld tips - so use the shortest arms possible to reach around the item that is being joined."

• "The arms and body of the welder need to be kept cool.  A temperature rise equates to higher resistance and a loss of power at the weld tip. Larger welders will usually be water-cooled.  With a smaller welder, allow time for it to cool between welds." 

BTW, the water cooling feature includes water jackets around the arms.

In Britain (small country, big population, lots of big cities, robust DIY community), spot welders can be rented by the day.  Wish we had that where I live!

Looking forward to reading more about your experiences with your spot welder as your build progresses.

Thanks for this info.  Very informative.   

Here are the specs of the Quick Spot II for reference.  I am not familiar with kVA.   Can you tell me how you arrive at 1.6 kVA?  I assume an equation of some sort and some of the following as parameters?

Quick Spot II Specs
Maximum Welding Current:    6000 Amps
Welding Voltage:    2.5 Volts
Max Electrode Pressure:    265 Lbs.
Input Voltage:    220 Volts
Input Amperage:    30 Amps
Maximum Absorbed Power:    13 Kw
Rated Power:    2.3 Kw @ 50%
Spots/Hr:    180 (continuous mode, 20 gauge panels)
Maximum Double-Sided Spot Welding Thickness:    14 gauge (.075") + 14 gauge (.075")
Dimensions:    17" L x 4" W x 7" H
Weight:    30 Lbs.
Warranty:    1-Year

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2019 at 10:58 AM, Namerow said:

"Welder power is measured in kVA.  The higher the kVA, the larger the diameter of weld you can achieve.  The points of the arms need to be sharpened regularly to a diameter that creates an effective weld at the given power... The welder must provide enough power the weld tip to melt the material. A 2kVA welder is only suitable for welding thin steel (up to 0.9mm) using short arms.  You'll need a 6kVA machine to weld effectively with longs arms on 1.0mm steel." 

For reference, inlinesix is using a 1.6kVA machine.

On 12/26/2019 at 2:10 PM, 240260280 said:

Max VA = power = Voltage * Current = 2.5V * 6000A = 15,000VA

Max kVA= VA/1000 = 15kVA

I think I missed the difference here the first time I read your comment, Hoover.  So, my spot welder is actually putting out 15kVA not 1.5kVA (or 1.6kVA)...  That is what your math shows.  Namerow, you agree with this math? 

It seems the specs have errors? I just multiplied welding Voltage X welding current.  It looks like the 6000A may be incorrect. Some possibilities below.

Quick Spot II Specs
Maximum Welding Current:    6000 Amps  < 600A or Max Weld Pwr= 6kW
Welding Voltage:    2.5 Volts
Max Electrode Pressure:    265 Lbs.
Input Voltage:    220 Volts
Input Amperage:    30 Amps
Maximum Absorbed Power:    13 Kw
Rated Power:    2.3 Kw @ 50%
Spots/Hr:    180 (continuous mode, 20 gauge panels)
Maximum Double-Sided Spot Welding Thickness:    14 gauge (.075") + 14 gauge (.075")
Dimensions:    17" L x 4" W x 7" H
Weight:    30 Lbs.
Warranty:    1-Year

Edited by 240260280

12 hours ago, inline6 said:

I think I missed the difference here the first time I read your comment, Hoover.  So, my spot welder is actually putting out 15kVA not 1.5kVA (or 1.6kVA)...  That is what your math shows.  Namerow, you agree with this math? 

I lifted the '1.6kVA' rating from your photo, which I took to be the unit your are using.

IMG_20191216_172911.jpg

There are two things in play with these welder ratings:

• When an electrical device relies on power bursts to do its job, the basic electrical power formula of 'P = V x A' is too simplistic and doesn't (directly) apply.  That formula is most appropriately used for continuous conditions, such as calculating the power delivered by an electrical transmission line.  And even in that case, there are correction factors that need to be used.

• The power rating for a welder only makes practical sense if it's measured and stated specific to a particular duty cycle (50% in this case).  You`ll see a similar approach used for MIG welder ratings.

Back in my days as a mechanical engineering undergrad, electrical engineering ratings and calculations always gave me a headache.  They still do.

• Like 2