IGNORED

Starting Series 1 after 15 years

ToolBoy

I also wanted to order the whole set of water hoses but Z Depot specifically says the set is for 240's and my engine was swapped for a 260. Do all or almost all the hoses from that set fit the L26 engine or do I have to order ala carte? Anybody know?? Thanks.

It could be that the oil pick up tube needs to be primed, at any rate pull the pump and have a look at it. If the oil pump was working fine when the car was parked then there is no reason I can see that it isn't working now, they don't just fail, they wear out over a long period of time.

I have never owned a 260 but it would make sense to order the hose kit for that engine.

Once you drop the oil pump look up where the pump mates to the block, you'll see 2 holes about a 1/2" in dia, one goes to the filter and the other one goes to the pick up, use a turkey baster to squirt lots of oil in, the filter hole will drain back toward you right away, the other should take the oil, that's the pick up tube.

4 hours ago, ToolBoy said:

I'm gonna order a new oil pump, ( what else could it possibly be?? ) 

"What else could it be?" is an expensive question.  Better to inspect first.  Did the engine ever run before it was garaged?

And are you saying that no oil is being produced or no oil is squirting at high velocity?  At low RPM it just dribbles.

image.png

I think I would try priming the system through the oil sender switch port. Removre the oil sender switch and find a fitting that will fit.

Any pump will do to pump some oil in. Even a simple bicycle pump will do. I don't think you need a new pump because it has been sitting for a while. It is just being difficult to prime after sitting so long.

Man, You guys are awesome!  The story is this. . . Seller said he bought the car at 120K miles and at 140K it needed to be rebuilt. He went to dealership and was told it was cheaper to swap the engine than to rebuild the one he had, so he did that. Rebuilt 260 engine was installed and rebuilt 5 speed.  I asked to see a papertrail for the new block but that was conveniently misplaced over the years. Dual weber setup had been installed by first owner but I have SU's in a box. He then said he drove another 23K miles off and on and then garaged it for next 15 years. Odometer now reads x63, 421. Sold the car insisting there was only 23K on the new motor. I was going thru the stuff he gave me and I found 2 things of interest. He scribbled notes in his repair manual that engine was swapped at 160K in 1986 and break-in oil was changed 500 miles later. Then I found 4 service receipts from 2000 and 2004 with odo readings in the 83,000 range.  One with a modicum of math skill  would assume that car doesn't have 163,000 miles but rather 263,000 miles (or 100K more than that?). Federal law says you're not supposed to under-report mileage or fines and jail time might be in order. I'm in the process of researching and then will chase him to recoup part of the fraudulent purchase price. At this point I want to get it running but I don't really want a 260 engine and there seem to be L24 engines out there that could be rebuilt. 

I will use a combination of all the coaching you guys have given me to prime the system but I'm gonna  install a new oil pump just the same. As I have no certainty about the state of this engine, any parts that I know are "new" will give me a little peace.