IGNORED

What is the best way to sell a 1970 240 Z?

TTSoCal

Looking for a little expertise from this forum.  I have a Datsun 240Z that has been stored in my garage for over 25 years.  It's all stock, but is missing the transmission.  It's spent it's entire life in Southern California so the body is still in good shape.  It hasn't been driven since 1989.

I've been lead to believe that because it's one of the early cars imported into the USA, and because it's all original components, it's rare to find these days.  The VIN is in the low 2000's. Is it best to offer this through eBay? What should I know or do before I offer for sale?  Thanks all

Bring a Trailer is a good venue.  However, that group of prospective buyers tend to be very needy in the information department.  Be prepared to have a solid understanding of the car you are selling.  I mean history of the vehicle, any previous body work, condition of the mechanical, etc...  Be prepared to include lot of pictures in the post, to include the obligatory shots of the battery box and doglegs.  You will be asked a myriad of questions and be expected to answer them promptly.  I have also seen many auctions where strong personalities with their own agendas dominate the discussion on a vehicle driving the dialog off the rails.

That said, if you do not want all the hassle, try advertising on Hemmings Motor News first and see where that goes.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I've sold a Zcar through ebay and BaT and have advertised on Hemmings,  with Hemmings I got lots of interest but no sale after a month then I put the car on BaT and it was sold by the end of the week at my asking price. I got a good price on ebay but difficulty with the buyer and ebay was of no help there, once the auction is done and the fees paid ebay doesn't care about you.  BaT on the other hand will help you every step of the way and follow up to make sure all goes smoothly after the auction, however BaT will want a low reserve which can be unnerving.

If your car is a rust free and fairly low in the VIN numbers then you should get the best market value on BaT, the lack of the 4spd trans although inconvenient shouldn't affect your price too much. As mentioned above, gather as much documentation as you can as you can.

Please post some photos, lots of experienced guys here.

• Like 2

I could use some help too. On Craigslist, I get out of state low ballers who want 300 photos sent to them. On cars.com, I’ve had a few interested people, but nothing materialized. I just listed it in Facebook marketplace, so we’ll see how that goes. So far, just a lot of likes and a few instant messages. 

8 hours ago, 718Miata said:

I could use some help too. On Craigslist, I get out of state low ballers who want 300 photos sent to them. On cars.com, I’ve had a few interested people, but nothing materialized. I just listed it in Facebook marketplace, so we’ll see how that goes. So far, just a lot of likes and a few instant messages. 

I have had good results with marketplace but I am not sure it's the best place for a Z. It really needs broader regional exposure. since many of these cars relocate to other states when they sell.

Have you tried Ebay, Hemmings, Bat yet?

The quality of the ad for an online sale makes a huge difference.  I recently had good success selling a vehicle on Craigslist, not a Zcar but it did fall into the niche/collector category. Before I placed my ad on Craigslist I did a submission to BAT and was accepted but declined to post, as they wanted it to be a no reserve auction. The process on doing a BAT submission was very helpful in creating a good ad for Craigslist. It's amazing to me just how bad a lot of the ads on Craigslist are.

Which ever platform you use remember that you are the one responsible for marketing your car, and a bit of effort makes a huge difference. I sold my Samurai on Craigslist in less than two weeks by doing just that. Here is a link to a blog on Hemmings that has some good information about making a successful ad:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2014/01/24/skills-101-how-to-write-a-classified-ad-that-sells-your-car/

On more tip, make cold start and driving and walk around videos of your car and put them on YouTube, instead of sending hundreds of pictures to prospective buyers, you can send them a few links instead. It worked for me.