IGNORED

L28 full rebuild assembly

Av8ferg

On 2/28/2020 at 10:09 AM, Zed Head said:

Beside the mechanical issues, finding the E12-80 modules for the ZX is more difficult.

You can also use the ZX distributor with the E12-92 module. It works exactly the same as the E12-80 if you only use the C & B connections. I've been running the E12-92 module this way for years.

Does anyone know what this flange is for? It’s part of those reinforcing metal bands that attach to the oil pan bolts. Am asking because I’m looking at headers and I’m seeing that it may interfere with the MSA 3-2 headers. I don’t know which headers I’m going to buy 6-1 vs 3-2.....ugh! I realized there are many options. If you have any insights on header choices I’d appreciate opinions as well.

In this video this guy had to remove this thing on the oil pan, which is fine but I’d prefer to know what is was intended for before I do it or if I could find a better option.

e187ae9c9445d6e84769591f5c4f9ee9.jpg&key=f1c6eb151aaf55d12c13613c8fc34738bb1fb8a4c0dde99230d3d47bf732f26c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

Does anyone know what this flange is for? It’s part of those reinforcing metal bands that attach to the oil pan bolts. Am asking because I’m looking at headers and I’m seeing that it may interfere with the MSA 3-2 headers. I don’t know which headers I’m going to buy 6-1 vs 3-2.....ugh! I realized there are many options. If you have any insights on header choices I’d appreciate opinions as well.

In this video this guy had to remove this thing on the oil pan, which is fine but I’d prefer to know what is was intended for before I do it or if I could find a better option.

e187ae9c9445d6e84769591f5c4f9ee9.jpg&key=f1c6eb151aaf55d12c13613c8fc34738bb1fb8a4c0dde99230d3d47bf732f26c

My 6 to 1 MSA header barely hit my 5 speed transmission.  Had to grind some aluminium off the transmission so be aware of that.

My 6-3-2 MSA header worked beautifully on both the mainly stock L26 (just ported) and highly modified L28. Never connected with anything other than high speed humps - as it does hang a bit low at the front, particularly if your car is lowered.

That I also understood to be a heat-shield to protect your gasket. I did have to “adjust” it for the ZStory Race/Sport header and it’s a VERY solid bit of metal!! The lump hammer was out.

• Like 1

My 6 to 1 MSA header barely hit my 5 speed transmission.  Had to grind some aluminium off the transmission so be aware of that.

Well, that kind of sucks. I have a Z 5speed and not a ZX tranny. Seems like it might not have that clearance issue but good to know there will be some challenges putting in a header. I read mostly good feedback on that 6-1 header. Probably the route I’m going.

Mine is the regular wide B that touched. Came from the factory in my '77.
240 fit fine, no issues with that 5 speed.

So Cliff are you saying I should not have a transmission clearance problem with the MSA 6-1 header (2.5” flange)?

Two other concerns with this header I’ve read is that it may interfere with the oil pan heat shield. The other was it hangs really low on the car. I will slightly lower my car but I’m not one of those people that have those car dragging sparks down the road like I’m 19 with stereo blasting rap music rattling my rear hatch.
I have what seems like 20 speed bumps in my neighborhood (hate them). I don’t feel like having my header hitting all the time.