IGNORED

Coil Pack Conversion - More Info Needed

z32 fairlady

I've used the z32 cas installed onto the turbo distributor shaft with the z32 ecu and nistune.  I changed the turbo at the time of conversion and can't honestly say that I gained any power from the coil packs but I could run a stock plug gap at 26psi.  

2 hours ago, Matthew Abate said:

I’ll admit that I’ve only been looking for about a week and haven’t posted a WTB in the classifieds, but so far I have not been able to find a rebuilt ‘79 at any price.

In an effort to get back on topic and make this thread helpful, here are some questions to the guys who lost the distributor:

• Why did you do it (frustration, experimenting, parts availability, etc.)?
  • If you were starting from nothing and could choose anything, what would you do and why?
  • Was a DIS “worth the cost” to you (someone dependent on your previous answers, I guess)?
  • Are there any big flags we should be aware of before choosing the DIS path (outside of the technical details of doing it correctly)?
  • Did anyone revert to a distributor? Why?

I ran Megajolt on my previous Z because I wanted a stout, fully-programmable ignition system at a low cost as I was running triples for fueling. It's easy to setup, tune, and is rock solid. I highly recommend Megajolt if you're considering standalone ignition but want to keep the carbs.

I'm running a 123ignition distributor on the current Z because I again wanted a fully-programmable ignition system but this time I also wanted to keep a period look. There is no other good reason to stay with a distributor if you're considering a DIS, IMO. The 123 is not as robust and high performing as Megajolt but it's as good as it gets for distributors.

• Like 1

Just FYI... The ZX ditributors with the E12-92 module can be used just like the ones with the E12-80 module. If you have or can get a ZX dizzy with the E12-92 it will work exactly like the E12-80. When you just use the C and B connectors leaving I & W disconnected gives the same timing curve as the E12-80 module. The E12-92 has been running just fine on my series 1 240Z since 2003. Another reference is in this thread.

https://www.zcar.com/forum/10-70-83-tech-discussion-forum/116513-e12-92-e12-80-a.html

• Like 2

I posted in this thread about using an MSD or Crane module but I don't think that their programmability is very complex.  Their ad copy is deceptive.  Here is a system that does what I was thinking of.  Lots of ways to get spark control, especially in today's programmed world.  Somebody has probably developed an app that will let you use a "phone" to run your engine.

https://www.cbperformance.com/CB-s-Black-Box-Programmable-Timing-Control-Module-p/2013.htm

On 11/30/2019 at 5:46 PM, Matthew Abate said:

@siteunseen,

This thread? 

Back to my question above: given the options I listed and the additions from @Zed Head, are there any general recommendations or categorical options?

The ‘79 distributor seems very hard to find, putting it in the same bucket as any S30 distributor. The HEI options seem interesting, but I wonder if it wouldn’t be nearly as much work/money/time to get it going as the COP/DIS options. Obviously the specific parts chosen can drive up costs, but I’d love to hear from someone who has tried a few or several options.

I know there is no “best.” Just looking for sign posts to point the way.

Yes, It was done by Walter Moore. I'd forgotten who created the spreadsheet.

My dizzy has those numbers stamped on the outside body and the weights were 18 each for 36 total advance. It may not be an actual '79's but it's close enough for me. Good luck Matthew. You've made good decisions so far, I'm sure that will remain true. Cliff

I found an article that shows how MSD's ads are deceptive.  They describe set-point timing retarding as "curves".  They're not curves.  They're just rebranding their rev-limiter technology.  Pretty sad, MSD used to be top of the game.

https://bangshift.com/general-news/tech-stories/engine-tech-how-a-programmable-ignition-can-make-anyone-look-like-a-pro/

image.png

@Matthew Abate

The car is a numbers matching car and I intend to keep it that way with the 4 speed as well.  I am in the process of getting the car to a running and reliable state.  Next after some recovery, financial wise, is body work.  At this time the engine will be out and I intend to do a rebuild while upgrading choice components.  I am building the car for longevity along with some modern refinements for "ease of maintenance".

I am a one and done type of person and put forth my effort up front in the research so I can get it done right the first time.  My 4 month old son is my motivation and I hope to give him this car one day.  I may get some criticism for the direction I am going but I can care less.  What I do care about is the love and knowledge bomb dropped in this thread.  Now I need to find some time to sit down and digest it all.

Thank you all.

Edited by z32 fairlady