Av8ferg

L28 from 82 ZX teardown

At least you got it out. Probably better it broke than get used and cause problems later

Edited by Patcon
    • Like 1

I agree. Would have been far worse if it happened later while driving passing 5000 RPM. Now I wonder if I should change the rod bolts too. I know it’s not as easy as new bolts. I recall CO saying there needs to be something done to at the shop level to make the fitment correct.

971c460fad1cf91615a42cdec11cb516.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There as been a lot of discussion about large sizing if rod bolts are changed. Madkaw is dealing with that I believe

Agreed. That would have been a whole lot worse if it had happened while the engine was running.

So about that website... Did you see this note on their home page?

THIS SITE IS CURRENTLY ON HIATUS AND IS IN DISPLAY-ONLY MODE

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO BROWSE BUT NO PARTS CAN BE SHIPPED AT THIS TIME

PRICES SHOWN DO NOT INCLUDE SHIPPING

VERY SORRY- I AM UNABLE TO TAKE PHONE CALLS REGARDING THIS WEBSITE

PLEASE DO NOT CALL

EMAILS WILL BE ANSWERED IN THE ORDER IN WHICH THEY ARE RECEIVED

HOWEVER DUE TO THE VOLUME OF EMAILS

REPLIES MAY NOT BE IMMEDIATE

I've bought some parts from them recently (anecdotally, including your rings and head gasket) and they will still do business through email, but they changed computer systems a little while ago and it completely messed up their vintage parts business. If you can't get things to work, let me know and I'll fire off an email to them.

Thanks CO. I just noticed the site problem around the time you sent this. I’ll email them and see where it goes.
    Thanks again!

Question, I ordered my rear main seal from Zcardepot and it came with

The main seal and two side seals but not side pins. This is supposed to be an OEM Nissan part (came in Nissan bag). It doesn’t come with

The metal side pins. Do I need these? I’ve already set the rear main cap with seal and side seals and RTV in the corners and notches where side seal go. Do I need to redo this and add those metal shims in there?

https://zcardepot.com/products/rear-main-seal-kit-engine-oem-240z-260z-280z?_pos=2&_sid=5908879bd&_ss=r

0858707300186af73f0f732c08494f70.jpg&key=80dc009b015cde17d4806ff080298abd40f18306dafd09347e3d73ad304a25ca

I bought my from Nissan and they didn't have the extra metal.  It's embedded into the rubber.  Try bending one.

The Felpro seals do have the extra metal nails Tom Monroe talks about.

Okay, thanks Cliff. They went in pretty tight and I lined the slots with Ultra Black Gasket Maker prior. Didn’t know they were imbedded.

FYI, just a little bit of the gasket maker, and install quickly along the bottom edge per the book. You don't want it creating a gap by starting to setup. If I was doing over again I would use the Permatex anaerobic stuff, stays liquid (more like gel actually) until after assy, then setups up in absence of air. I doubt its a big deal but just saying that is how I would roll today after using some of the stuff. think its call 513 or something like that. I ended up using the after market with the slide in parts, no leaks (I checked it recently when I found my main seal leaking do to my poor install the 1st time.

• Like 2

FYI, just a little bit of the gasket maker, and install quickly along the bottom edge per the book. You don't want it creating a gap by starting to setup. If I was doing over again I would use the Permatex anaerobic stuff, stays liquid (more like gel actually) until after assy, then setups up in absence of air. I doubt its a big deal but just saying that is how I would roll today after using some of the stuff. think its call 513 or something like that. I ended up using the after market with the slide in parts, no leaks (I checked it recently when I found my main seal leaking do to my poor install the 1st time.

We use 518 on battle tank chassis parts. Amazing stuff and smells great...

Okay, hopefully I won’t have to redo the job but if I do I know what I’ll use next time. Dave, I’ll run this engine on a stand like you did and fully test it while the car is getting paint and body work. If she leaks, I’ll know before install.

I am sure it will be fine, just want to let you know about the stuff, I tried it and its great.

Glad to hear you plan to use the test stand, I really like making sure everything is up to snuff, and after a big time rebuild, I can see how it would be even more important, esp if you don't do rebuilds everyday for a living. I got all hung up on that combustion gas leak in the coolant, so do that test as well.

Edited by Dave WM