IGNORED

Calling on all L-series engine experts.

Av8ferg

So,  I know I need to replace me current engine.  I’ve considered rebuilding it but I’m also considering replacing it.  I found an engine about 5 months ago at a salvage yard F52/P79 from an 82 ZX.  I put $20 down to hold it.  Total cost delivered to my house is $480.  Wanted to build a mild performance engine...nothing crazy that’s not a turbo.  This engine has 165k miles on it and is warranted to run.  After pricing out all the parts I’m looking at around $1000 in parts to build back stock.   

Fast forward, was on CL today and ran across this engine for $2500.  Says is a performance L-28 with all the specs.  When I look at $1500 total to buy and build a stock engine is it a better deal to just buy one like on the listing.  No engine labor and it might be a good buy.  I’m not sure because I don’t know what all this crap mean he’s listing in the add it what it means.  I’m not building a race car. 

Goal: Reliable, daily driver with some extra get up and go for fun.  

What do you guys think? 

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/d/locust-datsun-l28-race-prepped-engine/6948842508.html

Yeah, that may not have been a good street car.
I like the SU carb idea. I know these EFI systems are touted as reliable though. Anybody got an SU intake and carbs for sale.

As these cars age I think one of the weak links is the wiring and sensors for the EFI. Fusible links etc. The Bernoulli Principle that carbs use is timeless, plus you and your wife get to smell like a gas tank when you go on a date.

I’m gonna do something like Dave WM and take my old engine and put it on a stand and drive my wife and neighbors crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

Big ole lumpy cam and a tweaked motor paired with fuel injection AND a modern ECU makes a pretty sweet motor! FI is great as long as you update the electronics with a Haltech or similar system. .... just sayin’.... [emoji6]

• Like 3

That project died a quiet death. I contacted him in the beginning and got a little hope it would come to life, but eventually it just faded. I think the fact that there are so m any excellent pro options out there killed it. Haltech is NOT CHEAP but it is extremely well built and well supported.