IGNORED

1971 240z Refurbish in Denver

Pinbill

Welcome to the forum.  Don't know you paid for it, but looks like a gem definitely worth keeping in stock condition.

Did old lady down the street give you any specific reason for the car's decades long hibernation?  My guess is the 3rd gear syncro was going out and her husband never got around to addressing it.  It might worth opening the gearbox and taking a look.

I use to live in Denver off of 6th and Quebec back in the early 1990s, and recall seeing a red 240Z in the area.  Maybe it was this one.

• Like 1

The last receipts were in 2008. They showed a new battery installed and a locked up rear wheel cylinder. The car was not safe to drive and the PO declined to have the wheel cylinder fixed. Mary Beth said her husband could no longer drive the car about ten years ago. The story jives with the receipts. She said she would help her husband into the car and he would run it in the garage. She finally remembered that he stopped sitting in it because the car ran out of gas. I think that's why it started so easily for me.

I will have the transmission out this winter and will take a look.

The car was driving in the 1990s. I live on Holly and Evans. It could have been the same car. Small world.

Edited by Pinbill
  • Like 1

Nice car!  Welcome to the classic Z car forum.  Hybridz.org calls us "purist".  Not a bad classification in my opinion.

If that's the original paint a good cut and buff will make it look like new.

The two pics in my signature, the one on the left was before cutting and the right was taken after the cut and wax by a pro.  I'm too scared to put a wheel on my cars.

• Like 1

I was thinking of that too. Zup is the one who swears by A/C Delco Friction Modified. My first Z had a bit of a grind going into 2nd and 3rd. I tore it down and found all pristine synchros. I replaced them just because I had it apart, put it back together and used Kendall gear oil. It worked great. One year later, my friends, trans needed going thru. We replaced his worn synchros with my pristine used ones and it shifted fine. Looking back I suspect my original problem could have been cured with different gear oil. There is one thing that makes me believe your 3rd gear synchro may be bad. Normally the first synchro to go is 2nd gear followed later by 3rd gear.

• Like 2

Welcome, Pinball! 

I live just south of the Denver metro area (Lone Tree).  One of my current 240Z project cars is a '71 Series II car that was also built in 6/71 and is also originally from Colorado. The 918 Orange with black interior car that spent over 20 years sitting in a garage up in Cheyenne, WY. That's where I purchased the car and brought it home by trailer.  It's VIN #HLS30-34495. Just curious,  is your car's VIN close to my car's?

Yo dudes,  thanks for the nice complements. Lots of people

The paint color is 905 and the vin is 35549.

I was doing some reading about the syncros. It seems like people have had good luck with different fluids. I have enough  M90 redline left to do a flush. I may try flushing with redline and then switch to the GM and then try the Kendal fluid if need be. I won't be tearing into the car until the fall so I will have time to try a few fluids.

The rear suspension is pretty bouncy but doesn't seem to sag. I will replace the rear struts do most people replace the springs when they rebuild the struts? It looks like z car source has a kit with springs and shocks.

There is a car show this weekend in Aurora that's put on by a Colorado Z club. Unfortunately due to rain last weekend I had to postpone my patio tear out and can't make it.

Edited by Pinbill

If I were going to replace the springs I would do it when I did the struts. Although the bounce in the rear probably has nothing to do with the springs.  Struts should help that. Most people change springs fo a slightly lower stance. I would suggest Eibach progressive springs.

Just be sure whatever fluids you try are safe for yellow metals!

• Like 1