IGNORED

Play in rear strut

Diseazd

All drive line is stock .....336 diff and stock 4 speed tranny. The reason I noticed it was I had a low speed rattle (like a tail gate rattle) that I traced to the driver side strut. When jacked up, the wheel has 1 to 1.5 inches of slop and makes a knocking noise. It’s not the half shafts. I don’t know squat about diff problems, but the excess play seems to be diff related.

Edited by Diseazd

John C and others have said that the old open R180's are susceptible to one wheel burnout failure.  The seat for the pinion shafts gets wallowed out.
Early R200s are the same. There's a little roll pin that holds the pinion shaft in the diff case that shears and the pinion shaft moves around, beating its seat as you say. Makes a regular knocking sound as you drive especially round corners.
It's easy enough to fix by driving the broken pin out and sticking a new one in.
d46a7620275cd255d89d4f3a9eda1263.jpg