IGNORED

1970 240z restoration engine ideas

I'm gonna start restoring my 240 and I was going to do a ls3 swap but now I'm thinking of rebuilding the l24 and just putting a turbo on it. I don't know much about the L series so are the L24 good to build for power or should I use a L28 or just keep with the ls3 swap idea? 

I agree, swap with car! I think a better idea, is to source an L28ET motor complete with harness and go from there. That way most everything is reversible in the future when the cars are worth even more. Also the S30 chassis is not properly designed for the levels of torque that the LS series motors can produce.

I don't know the condition it's got rust but its been in a garage since I got it and the previous owner had it under a shelter I'll upload some pics when I get home from work but if it's in good shape should I look for another and just keep that one original? 

1 hour ago, donnie.petway said:

I don't know the condition it's got rust but its been in a garage since I got it and the previous owner had it under a shelter I'll upload some pics when I get home from work but if it's in good shape should I look for another and just keep that one original? 

If it's rusty, that makes it even harder to add lots of torque. All the S30 cars are appreciating very fast right now. The early cars especially. The later cars are better candidates for a swap. Especially the 280z. It's heavier and better braced and is already fuel injected.

Welcome to the club. The car does look to be of an earlier model. It does look like it will have some rust issues as well.

The motor looks like it may have already been replaced at some time, so it might not be a numbers matching set up to start with. 

You can verify the engine number from the stamp below the # 6 plug L24 XXXXXX and compare that to the ID plate mounted on the shock tower.  Would you mind sharing the vin number from the dash?

Just with a later valve cover and Air cleaner (72?) it looks to me like it was changed out. 

The 70 does have a few unique parts that are sought after, but I'd say you have a good candidate to do what you want. and enjoy the ride. Just be sure the chassis (brakes, steering, suspension, etc.) can handle the power you put in it. Be safe!

The snorkel on the air filter has the butterfly / heat riser feature.  Per a comment I received from Carl Beck a while back, the heat riser from the exhaust manifold was added somewhere about 6,000 units into production, not reflected in the parts catalog.  The car can easily be a '70 production date.  I see the coil has been replaced with some kind of electronic box.

• Like 1