IGNORED

Steering Wheel from Japan

Mike

Oh my, take a look at this one.  It appears to be a Datsun steering wheel intended for "Western" production of the Z (USA model).  The translation is a bit confusing, it says something about the wheel only being used for 10 hours?  Not really sure what to think about it, but, the wheel looks pristine.  Asking price appears to be $4,200 USD...  not for the faint of heart.  To top it off, I think you'll have to fly to Japan to pick it up in person.  How many rich guys do we have on this site?  ?

https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/s651979706?conversionType=search_suggest

i-img870x870-1553177115cdrtz51615093.jpg

Here's the translation:

Photography after March 20, 2019

I received your visit, Thank you very much.

● After the new purchase of S30-based final model, because of the early retrofit, use time about 10 hours, because it was good indoor storage-preserved environment, Miraculously, It Has Maintained The Freshness Of Remains Of Those Days.
● Do Not Taste In The Recycled Product, The Remains Of The Time, And Smooth Texture, You Can Taste The Shiny Deep, Such As Tortoiseshell.
● Because It Is DATSUN Mark, Also
recommend as an interior.
● We recommend for those of genuine.
● In a real and recycled products, I think that calm when sitting in the cockpit is different.

About good S30 Z genuine steering of ★, seems not hard to find, even in the full restorative car one million yen class, so you often see the playing back is not good appearance, this product is very valuable we will be proud of such goods . 

It Is The Original Owner Of The Comment One Owner Goods Of Goods. 

[Genuine About The Wooden Steering]

Before From Now About 41 Years, After A Few Months To Buy The Final Model Of The S30 System Fairlady Z (The Fairlady ZT 2 / 2 GS 31) in the new car, "Nissan genuine sports corner steering" (← at that time the item name, current, because the reprint was retrofit to Nissan Datsun has been referred to the competition handle), this product is, removed, had the indoor storage.
At one point, the remains of the "Nissan genuine sports corner steering" because there was a time when not pass through the inspection, it was used several times for the inspection. Of This Product, And The Texture Of The Tree That Was Like-New Still Out, The Color And Luster, Such As Tortoiseshell, Not Taste In The Recycled Product, I Think That The Guests Feel The Calm. Still, That The Steering Keeping The State At The Time Of New Cars Are Present I Think Miraculous As Now A Lapse Of More Than 40 Years. Because It Is DATSUN Mark, GT-R, It Can Also Be [Japan Import] Used, Such As In Laurel. Although We Have Described The Adaptation Table Below, Because It Is A Copy And Paste Of A Certain Company, I Need Will Help By Self-Responsibility. We Will Recommend To Those Of Genuine.

Owned the car 41 years ago, but was let go two years ago, remembered that there remains a genuine handle, I tried to take out, either, because I thought I thought I would decorate the room, was a little living room of the results, the temperatures 

When I have to calculate the time of use of this product, it is just 10 hours before and after. There Was A Since Difference Achievements, Of 41 Years Ago, Had Kept The Beauty That Did Not Change At All .

a few years era that does not pass the inspection if no marked trumpet to the horn button, because the horn button of the Z mark had been used by being mounted to the "Nissan genuine sports corner steering", as it is a car I let go with.
As a result, "it had been installed in the Nissan genuine sports corner steering, horn button of DATSUN mark," "Z genuine wooden steering wheel," and now that I am allowed to exhibit a combination that. 

Of course, in even time time Thing "Horn Button Of DATSUN Mark" This, Use Time For Only A Few Hours, Because It Is A Very Clean State (Pad Section As New), I Think That Bargain Goods. (Fitting The Complete Repair Reference Under Photos Already) 

At The time, Western Z of export specifications, more than the Z mark, the horn button of this DATSUN mark has not been installed, looked in more far the fearless ones of the Z mark.

(Photo below see) We also have a query on the photograph, of the steering wheel at the time, not high quality of the painting of the spokes, and look good, scratches, etc. 

, but I think that there is also a method to use to play the steering, which is exhibited at low cost, wooden steering is, because it is a transparent paint and varnished, deception is not ineffective, of the time at new car beauty Saya, I think that is difficult to reproduce the color and luster. Other Day The, To Be The Same Products That The Exhibition Of The Others, Because I Found The Same Flaw, Was Convinced. Again, Usually Of A Different Order The Scratches, Still A Lapse Of 40 Years, Does Not Change To Rust.

i-img870x870-1553177135wq5lsj1543852.jpg

i-img870x870-1553177156o6djng633695.jpg

i-img870x870-1553177172dmx9hb1634626.jpg

i-img870x870-1553177204cwlbrp626001.jpg

i-img870x870-15531772268fynqq1457767.jpg

i-img870x870-1553177243l1gxq81457767.jpg

i-img870x870-1553177271h81cyj1460720.jpg

i-img870x870-15531775230gwiha48703.jpg

i-img870x870-1553177394phek7y630937.jpg

• Like 1

It’s good to see pics. I’ve always thought most restore with to much brown and not enough red. 

Its been mounted for sure. See the nut marks to hold it on and the horn ring has wear.  Hard to sell as NOS in my opinion. 

Edited by JSM
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, JSM said:

It’s good to see pics. I’ve always thought most restore with to much brown and not enough red. 

Its been mounted for sure. See the nut marks to hold it on and the horn ring has wear.  Hard to sell as NOS in my opinion. 

I have been re-reading the description, but, yet to fully understand if this is a true NOS or a restoration..  Price suggests it's a NOS item, but, I'm still on the fence..

From what I can make of the English, it may have been something he bought new 41 years ago, and kept on the car until he sold it 2 years ago.  See his quote here:

Owned the car 41 years ago, but was let go two years ago, remembered that there remains a genuine handle, I tried to take out, either, because I thought I thought I would decorate the room, was a little living room of the results, the temperatures 

When I have to calculate the time of use of this product, it is just 10 hours before and after. There Was A Since Difference Achievements, Of 41 Years Ago, Had Kept The Beauty That Did Not Change At All .

8 hours ago, Mike said:

Oh my, take a look at this one.  It appears to be a NOS Datsun steering wheel intended for "Western" production of the Z (USA model).  The translation is a bit confusing...

That's because it's not a "translation". Machine software simply isn't up to the task of 'translating' a small ad like this one.

Nowhere does the seller describe this as 'NOS', and the steering wheel itself is not an Export specification item (the seller specifically states that he took it from his late model GS31 Fairlady Z-T 2/2) so it will be the shallow dish Japanese market type. The horn button however is an Export type 'Datsun' logo version, which the seller states was taken off of a Datsun Competition steering wheel he bought at the time and swapped onto his car.

So it's pretty simple. He bought a GS31 Fairlady Z-T 2/2, took off the steering wheel and replaced it with a smaller diameter Datsun Competition item, but switched the 'Z' logo [plus 'trumpet' horn mark] horn button from the original steering wheel onto the new Datsun Compe item, leaving the original steering wheel - mated with the 'Datsun' horn button from the Compe wheel - in storage for possible use when the car had its inspection.

The asking price might be a bit fanciful, but let's not put words in his mouth.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mike said:

It's really hard to understand his English translation.

But that's my point. It's not his 'English translation', is it? It's a third party algorithm which is not really up to the job of understanding the nuances of the Japanese language.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HS30-H said:

But that's my point. It's not his 'English translation', is it? It's a third party algorithm which is not really up to the job of understanding the nuances of the Japanese language.

Ok this is getting way off topic, but, yes I agree.  The slang "lost in translation" comes to mind... 

Thread Hijack Alert!

If we can agree that this is a "Almost-NOS" wheel having been well-stored and protected for many years, then can we also agree that the rim color accurately represents the wheels delivered in production cars?  When we look at other recent threads showing lots of promotional photos with blond steering wheels, where do we find any production cars actually delivered with anything other than a red-toned wheel?  While I cannot produce a photo of my car at time of delivery, I can state with confidence that this is how mine looked.  I have several wheels I picked up for restoration and they are consistent in showing the red color where color remains intact.

• Like 2