IGNORED

71 at Copart in Arlington WA

Terrapin Z

• 1 month later...

Just FYI, I ended up purchasing this car for $4600 plus fees and having it shipped to VA. It has been an absolute nightmare ever since, lol. The rear hatch was rusted shut, and obviously, once I got it opened it revealed a totally rusted and destroyed rear sill part of the plate holder under neath. The rear deck and spare tire was in good shape but that was about where it stopped. The floors were rusted through, as expected, but the roof and roof pillars were all internally rusted, the rocker panels were all shot, someone did kind of a hack job putting a speaker box and amplifier in, and all in all it was pretty much a giant waste of money. Welp, lessons learned, looking for a better shell I can possible used the few parts that aren't garbage to get a start on. And btw I found the original sales article and evidently the turbo was from a Cessna (yep like the plane). Here are the things they DON'T show you in the Copart ad:

20190809_230635.jpg

20190811_172110.jpg

20190814_160326.jpg

20190819_215018.jpg

20190819_215045.jpg

20190820_143744.jpg

20190820_143749.jpg

• Sad 3

Wow, that is some serious rust going on there. You sure don't see that in the original ad. it really pays to go see them in person.

I hope you find something you can build on and use some parts from this. 

I knew that turbo was something odd. Cessna huh? interesting.

@DC_Mike

I am so sorry for you!!!

It is a little surprising that the rust is that extensive. I have done the same thing with a Copart car out of Miami. You could try to run the car back through Copart and recover some of the money. That is what I did. If you keep it, be sure and salvage all those vent parts in the hatch even if you don't use a vented hatch. They are getting rare and bring good money.

• Like 1

Kinda hard to believe a Cessna turbo would work on a straight six. My guess is it’s a Crown Turbo shown in the early “How to Modify” books. I always wondered how those early bolt on turbos performed. My guess is they boosted horse power and caused severe rust!!! ?

Yeah not going to lie, it was pretty disheartening paying that plus having it shipped across the country to find it is basically has to go to the junk yard. I can take some pictures of the turbo if anyone is interested in more details about it. Going to have to wait a bit to try and gather more cash to try again, hopefully better informed and with more luck this time. 

Edited by DC_Mike
  • Like 2

LOL, with the amount of internal frame rust damage I keep finding you more likely to see it at the local VA metal salvage once I'm done pulling anything useable off of it. Sad to say at this point it's probably work more as scrap metal than it is as an automobile. ?

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, DC_Mike said:

Where would be the best place to post this if I want to sell the remains? I pulled fender and interior out, but the engine transmission, rear end, suspension and bolt in roll cage, plus some decent rear quarters remain?

May you an ad in the classifieds and ad some pictures. It would be interesting to see the quarters. especially the interior side

• Thanks 1