IGNORED

A new tool for your shop: Ingersoll-Rand Cordless recip saw

Namerow

I've been doing a bit of research on recip saws and came across a review of a (relatively) new product entry by Ingersoll-Rand.  It's a cordless mini (0.55" stroke) targeted specifically for the auto body repair industry...

cq5dam.thumbnail.450.380.png

One of its primary attractions is the ability to make relatively tight-radius curved cuts.  It comes with a six 'extra-coarse' 4" blades (3 x 14 tpi + 3 x 18 tpi), rated for thick-ish sheet metal gauges, along with with two 12V Li-ion batteries and a charger stand.  The blades may use a proprietary locking design (I've found conflicting reports on this) but, in any case, I-R offers a variety of replacement blade sets, including a 6-pack of 32tpi blades. 

This looks a lot more versatile than a die grinder or a standard-size recip.  It also makes it unnecessary to have a power-tool-sized compressed-air system.  A possible drawback, compared with a mini air saw, is that it measures about 12" in length.  Weight is 2 lb.  Batteries are said to be good for about '1 hour' of use.

The manufacturer's webpage can be found here:  https://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/en-us/power-tools/products/air-cutting-tools/12v-recip-saw.html

A very informative independent review by a restoration shop owner (including a nice video of the saw in action) can be found here:  https://shoptoolreviews.com/woodworking/handheld-tools/12v-ingersoll-rand-cordless-reciprocating-saw/

The kit (saw, batteries & charger, carry case) goes for ~ US $220.  For my Canadian friends, I've found it available from an authorized Toronto supplier for Cdn $250.

Comments welcomed.

Edited by Namerow
added some info, changed some info
  • Like 1

An oscillating multi-tool can be a reasonable alternative for those of us on a smaller budget. I used one to cut through the exhaust pipe on my Z when I was converting over to headers. Of course, that was a corded tool. I haven't looked for a cordless version, yet.