IGNORED

HG stop leak recommendations?

rcb280z

On my 77 280 stock engine..........

Besides replacing it completely, which I have no time for right now, can anyone recommend a head gasket stop leak? One that has worked / known to work. I know, I'm probably asking for a miracle.

The first pic show's a leak at the back corner right side that is new. Not at the freeze plug. The second pic is a leak, seepage between Nissan and Japan, between #2 and #3 spark plugs, that has been there for years. Have just kept and eye on it. But now with the new leak I'm concerned. I will eventually pull the head and replace the HG but not right now.

The new leak seems to stop after the engine has come to full operating temp.

It's not leaking into the cylinders. Plugs don't show that as a possibility. No miss on start up. No puffs of white smoke / steam. Engine doesn't overheat. Appreciate your input.

Bob

coolant leak 1.jpg

coolant leak 2.jpg

Edited by rcb280z
added content

Is that the top of the block, near the heater hose in the first picture?  I had that same leak n my 76 engine.  Barr's Stop Leak worked for a while.  It eventually extruded through the gap, leaving a small pile of powder back there.

You could also buy an OEM stop leak.  Ford has one.  I've seen the part number but don't have it handy.  Looks like GM has one too.  You could probably go to a Ford Dealer and ask for stop leak pellets and they'd know.

Here's an example, but I've seen it in my Ford service manual also.

https://forums.tccoa.com/7-engine-4-6l-5-4l/121432-ford-suggests-stop-leak-their-new-modulars.html

And, of course, you'll take heat from the "do it right" crowd.  Even though Ford adds it at the factory in new engines, apparently.

28 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

near the heater hose in the first picture?

Close, it's right at the corner of the head / block. IIRC there is a large coolant passage there, next to the head bolt.

32 minutes ago, Zed Head said:
30 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

you'll take heat from the "do it right" crowd

Rightfully so. I totally plan on replacing it......soon. 

33 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Ford adds it at the factory in new engines

Interesting, I did not know this.

I'll put that on the list of possibilities.

Is it possible we'll see a Z in a future Flex Seal commercial? Repairing the leak with Flex Seal might be worth a try as a temp. fix. If it works, imagine what could be next, rockers, doglegs, wheel arches, floors, and frame rails all bonded with Flex Seal products. Fame and fortune in commercials could be just a stupid idea away. 

1 hour ago, Mark Maras said:

Is it possible we'll see a Z in a future Flex Seal commercial? Repairing the leak with Flex Seal might be worth a try as a temp. fix. If it works, imagine what could be next, rockers, doglegs, wheel arches, floors, and frame rails all bonded with Flex Seal products. Fame and fortune in commercials could be just a stupid idea away. 

So are you trying to tell me that's how much faith you have in any head gasket stop leak? LOL

Edited by rcb280z

Well, In an emergency, but little beyond that. The size of the pellets in some stop leaks make me wonder how much ends up plugging cores rather than stopping a leak in a specific place. It's probably my own ignorance of how the product works. Years ago I used a silver powdery stop leak that worked very well. I seem to remember the name being Silver Solder Stop Leak or something like that.