HG stop leak recommendations? - Page 2 - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

HG stop leak recommendations?

Featured Replies

Have you tried retorquing the head bolts?  Won't hurt unless you break one.  Is it the original engine?

Might be that the original gasket material just shrinks, degrades, and leaks after so many heat cycles.  It's some kind of organic material.  Mine looked fine after took the head off, except for the leaky spot.  The metal cylinder seals were fine.

 

Edited by Zed Head

  • Author

I am afraid to re-torque the bolts. Last thing I need is to break a bolt.

Have already used them twice. So if I replace the head gasket I'll need new head bolts.  Had the head off in 96. It did get a new head gasket then. Forgot those details. You can say I have CRS lately.

It is the original engine

 

 

 

Edited by rcb280z

  • Author
2 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

Years ago I used a silver powdery stop leak that worked very well.

That might be the Bars leak head gasket repair I've just looked at. I might try it. 

 

Here's the permanent stuff that hardens, and one of the the silver powders (aluminum dust).  There's a bunch.  Don't forget the raw egg fix.

https://barsleaks.com/product/head-gasket-fix/

https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Seal-Radiator-Sealer-Powder/dp/B000AME522/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/alumaseal-radiator-stop-leak-powder/

 

20 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

 Don't forget the raw egg fix.

Or my Dad's favorite black pepper.

Me and Zed's plus some salt and you'd have a Contnetinal Breakfast. Fill your radiator with bloody mary mix, windshield washer tank with vodka and you welcome at my house anytime.

Cook some ribeyes on the manifold...

Party over heaaaar!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.