IGNORED

Braking System Rehaul?

BayAreaZ650

Good morning everyone,

Everything is still original on my 280z. I have to slam the brake pedal to the floor for the Z to brake. What can be the cause of this issue?

I was thinking of doing a re-haul including: new rotors, brake pads, drums brake shoes and brake fluid. Should I do the brake lines as well? Are there any other parts you recommend to change out?

2 hours ago, BayAreaZ650 said:

Everything is still original on my 280z. I have to slam the brake pedal to the floor for the Z to brake. What can be the cause of this issue?

I was thinking of doing a re-haul including: new rotors, brake pads, drums brake shoes and brake fluid. Should I do the brake lines as well? Are there any other parts you recommend to change out?

If they've been working fine and this happened suddenly then it sounds like an MC seal has failed.  You didn't give much detail.  Don't hurt your foot slamming the pedal.

You left out calipers and wheel cylinders.  Your brake lines are probably okay, they seem to last, despite the rust happening around them.

While you have the rotors off you might check your wheel bearings.  Pretty easy to change.  Also, if you have decent auto shops nearby you might be better off to have the rotors and drums turned, instead of replaced.  Some people think that new is better, but, especially with the aluminum drums, that's not always the case.  NAPA tries to hang on to their in-house machine shops so might be a good start.  I had some rotors turned there and they did good work.

By brake lines, if you mean the short flex lines, I would replace those as well if they show any sign of deterioration.  Good time to replace the brake fluid since you are considering all the brake work.  Oem lines are still available from Zcar Depot.

How long have you owned the car?