IGNORED

Need a plug bolt

Diseazd

Took the white 70 for some exercise. Developed an exhaust leak (loud). Found the cause....she’s missing a bolt (plug) from her early exhaust manifold. Anyone know the thread size of this item, or better jet do they have one they could spare? 

Thanks

Guy

6878C439-C98A-4998-AA5F-8D3F4F0933F5.jpeg

2B0E08B3-20D4-423E-9E85-CF2D45D5E8EE.jpeg

Is that not the narrow band O2 sensor location from a ZX manifold?  Never seen an early manifold with a need for either an EGR fitting or O2 sensor that would explain that hole. Unless it was a later user added "feature"

Anyway if its O2 bung thread, its M18x 1.5. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=280zx+exhaust+manifold&rlz=1C9BKJA_enCA668CA668&oq=280zx+exhaust+manifold&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.6099j1j7&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=wbMsjPBtTsxSnM:

IMG_3761.PNG

Edited by zKars
  • Like 1

Right you are Jim. It’s not an early manifold, it’s a manifold from a ZX with no exhaust tubes......W48. I tried 3/8 and 1/2 inch plugs.....one too small and one too large. I just want to plug it. I’ll order an M18x1.5 plug. Thanks so much for your help.....I am always impressed with your knowledge of Z cars.

Regards

Guy

3 minutes ago, Diseazd said:

Right you are Jim. It’s not an early manifold, it’s a manifold from a ZX with no exhaust tubes......W48. I tried 3/8 and 1/2 inch plugs.....one too small and one too large. I just want to plug it. I’ll order an M18x1.5 plug. Thanks so much for your help.....I am always impressed with your knowledge of Z cars.

Regards

Guy

They will probably have one at your local big box parts store too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zKars said:

Glad to help.  Speed shops that sell weld in O2 bungs will also have plugs. Some of the bungs I've bought actually came with the plug.

Great....I just ordered 2 bungs with the M18x1.5 plugs. One for each of the two Stroker Motors (I’ll have them welded in the Dow pipes). Curious as to how the A/F ratio is with the SU’s. Have you ever checked your Stroker with the SU’s? If so, what were your numbers?

I had a great experience with my SU's with the stroker motor. Nearly equal performance in the low/mid range as the Mikuni 44's I had previously, excellent mileage, easy starting etc. AFR's with N47 needles on cruise at 15'ish, 12-13 at WOT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zKars said:

I had a great experience with my SU's with the stroker motor. Nearly equal performance in the low/mid range as the Mikuni 44's I had previously, excellent mileage, easy starting etc. AFR's with N47 needles on cruise at 15'ish, 12-13 at WOT

Perfect.....Yes I love the way the strokers pull with the SU’s and their simplicity. Just didn’t know if they were lean at WOT.

Thanks