IGNORED

Problem With Differential Installation

ea6driver

78 280Z. So over the last few months I've disassembled, refurbished and now am reinstalling my rear suspension.  Today, I began installing the mustache bar, differential and forward differential mount.  I lifted the differential into place and bolted up the mustache bar to the differential and to the body mounting bolts.  Then when I went forward to bolt the forward differential mount to the body I was confused that the mount bolts didn't line up with the screw holes in the body.  The mount was too far forward by at least a couple inches (photos).  It looks like it might all line up fine if I reverse the mustache bar, but all the diagrams/photos I've seen show the mustache bar oriented with the end "cylinders" aft of the bar.  Any ideas of what my problem is would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3105.JPG

IMG_3106.JPG

Update.

Going through all the photos I took when disassembling everything, I came across this photo which shows that the mustache bar was indeed "reversed" when I took it off the car.  So I guess I'll go ahead and put it back together the same way it came apart.  Interesting.  I'm still confused that in order to get it all to mate up that I have to install the mustache bar opposite from what all the reference materials seem to indicate.  The diff is not original equipment to this car...it's from a late model ZX, but I don't think that should matter.

Any ideas?

IMG_1904.JPG

double checked the diff "insulator"....it's oriented correctly.  The same as in the photo above that 240260280 posted.

Also, where did you get that diagram of the top view of the rear suspension?  Have not run across that one.  It clearly shows the mustache bar installed "reversed" from other year model Z cars.  And thanks for the photo (from Blue's Tech Tips site I think).

Funny...I scoured through the 78 FSM looking for clues to the answer to my question.  Actually found a couple of diagrams that showed the mustache bar installed the (apparent) "wrong" way.  I guess they just never updated them from previous year model manuals.

12 minutes ago, ea6driver said:

Also, where did you get that diagram of the top view of the rear suspension?  Have not run across that one.  It clearly shows the mustache bar installed "reversed" from other year model Z cars.

Funny...I scoured through the 78 FSM looking for clues to the answer to my question.  Actually found a couple of diagrams that showed the mustache bar installed the (apparent) "wrong" way. 

That top view showing the diff appears in the 1978 FSM on page RA-3.

I don't know if there are other pics in the 78 manual that show the bar in the wrong orientation, but the one in the Rear Axle (RA) section shows it correctly.

14 minutes ago, ea6driver said:

Funny...I scoured through the 78 FSM looking for clues to the answer to my question.  Actually found a couple of diagrams that showed the mustache bar installed the (apparent) "wrong" way.  I guess they just never updated them from previous year model manuals.

Are you using the Nissan/Datsun Factory Service Manual.  Or somebody else's "FSM".  It's in the 1978 Rear Axle chapter.

Just chiming in.  FSM = Datsun Service Manual.  

image.png

I am actually using the 78 FSM...don't know how I missed the very nice diagram on page RA-3.

However, check out diagram #RA276 on page RA-10.  It shows the mustache bar oriented opposite the diagram on page RA-3.

Additionally, check out diagram #RA278 at the top of page RA-11. It shows the mustache bar running behind (toward the front of the car) the vertical link mounting brace.

Both of these diagrams are incorrect with regard to the actual installation on the 78 year model.