IGNORED

Stock 240Z Steel Wheel Color

Diseazd

Don't want to beat a dead horse, I can't find the thread.  And I just got back to this computer.  I've posted this picture before when I was talking with Kats about original wheels and tires.  This is from 26th.

Wheel.jpg

Edited by 26th-Z
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

Don't want to beat a dead horse, I can't find the thread.  And I just got back to this computer.  I've posted this picture before when I was talking with Kats about original wheels and tires.  This is from 26th.

Wheel.jpg

But it's fully painted, correct?

Well, yes.  Wow, does that picture look crappy on this monitor!  What happened?

The paint finishes are mat texture and although the silver may look like primer, primer is porous and not a sealing film.  The paint coating seals the steel.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 6:04 PM, 240260280 said:

Here is a great thread:

To add to this thread link, the colour that I found the closest to the INSIDE (or majority of the wheel body colour, I guess) gray colour was actually Alumiblast from Seymour Paints, which is a popular "rebuilders aluminum" coating. 

All of the powder coated options I had spec'd out were far too glossy or had a shine to them that was not similar to the dull faux aluminum on the inside of the spare wheels in inventory.

The only issue with this Alumiblast paint is that it is very easy to rub off with solvents. The benefit to this is that it actually makes it easy to clean up if you are spraying the inside of the wheel after the tire is mounted to a fully powder coated wheel. Any overspray through the brake venting holes in the face of the wheel while spraying the inside can be easily cleaned off with brake parts cleaner. It can also be touched up with more paint, and it goes on wet and dries to the same shade as the base coat in about 30 seconds.

All the top coats I tried to seal in the Alumiblast on some test pieces mixed with the Alumiblast or caused it to re-liquify and wash out or become runny, and I didn't have time to find a suitable matte powder coating formulation at the time, so Alumiblast is what I settled on using.

It's probably not the most durable, but you could just buy some of that paint, coat a spare piece of metal, and then take it to a powder coater to attempt match the shade/finish with whatever they have in their inventory so you don't have to buy a 50lb box of custom powder.

I'd like to add that I also spot tested some of the Alumiblast onto the inside of the untouched original spare wheel and you could not tell where the spray line was. So that's the best indication of how close Alumiblast comes in terms of paint accuracy.

Edited by Careless
  • Like 3