SB Needles to Resolve Lean WOT with SUs - Page 4 - Carburetor Central - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

SB Needles to Resolve Lean WOT with SUs

Featured Replies

28 minutes ago, duffman said:

Just participated in a 200 mile drive through some old AZ mining towns yesterday, had a great time! 

I love the roads around Jerome. Were you in that area?

  • Author

Not this trip, though I have done that a few times!  We drove through Superior, Winkelman and Globe yesterday, a fun drive!

9 hours ago, duffman said:

Am going to order the RH needles for comparison purposes, and possibly lean out a few spots in the range.

Yeah, sorry I couldn't help you out with the RH needles. Good luck with the tinkering, and keep us posted!

Short story for the rest of the forum... I went looking for my RH needles that I thought I had and only came up with just ONE instead of two. Not much help there!   :facepalm:

Some work I did a couple of years ago:

 

image.pngimage.png

Edited by 240260280

I had some time so I plotted SB & RH

image.png

imageproxy.php?img=&key=a75e82998c691b20

 

Edited by 240260280

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

Thanks, Phil, appreciate the comparison of all 4 needle specs, very helpful!

It looks like a little off station one for SM, SB, RH will give a richer idle if needed.

Edited by 240260280

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author

I installed a set of RH needles and they ran lean (16 to 17 APR) on WOT on numerous test runs. Went back to SB needles.
There are a few rich spots on the SB needles (cruise is around 13.5), so dropped the needle shoulder down so even with bottom of piston. This kept the WOT numbers on target (13 to 13.5) and the cruise numbers are closer to 14. Will test further, but pleased so far!


Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

If the idle and cruise are good with the RH then you could taper stations 6 to 14 to make a sweet custom needle!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.