IGNORED

SB Needles to Resolve Lean WOT with SUs

Duffman

No, CO, I did not create a thread about this in the past.  I read other threads about fuel levels, fuel pressure, etc.  I even learned how to rebuild SUs and bought old sets, rebuilt them and sold about 15 sets on eBay!  I learned a lot about how they worked, but I could never get my SUs to attain desired performance on my Z.  I guess after a while I just decided to live with it!  My triple Weber adventure taught me that I can get more from my Z than what I was able to get with SUs.  There had to be something I was missing, that other people were able to attain great results with SUs and there was no reason I could not either.  So, pursued a variable I thought would make a difference and solve my problem; needles that allow more fuel on acceleration or WOT!  

Edited by duffman
  • Like 1

How many turns down for the mix nuts with the SB's?  I tried SM's for my modified 240z engine but found I had to drop the mix nuts a couple of extra turns to get it to idle, which made it way too rich at midrange, fouling the plugs. That's because the SM's (and other British needles that fit, as far as I know) are 0.099 at station 1, compared to 0.090 for the stock Hitachi needles, like N-27's. When I installed a modified 280/280zx engine, the first needles I tried were modified (richer at mid-range and top end) N-27's. Looks like my AFR numbers are about where the engine builder wants them so I guess I lucked out.

Checked my book, it shows SB's same as SM's at the top two stations, then they start to lean out more than SM's like you said. Anyway, your AFR numbers look OK, so however it works, it works. I've read where someone planned to drill out the nozzles to use British needles. Have also read about pushing the needles up into at piston as far as they'll go which is about 1/8" or 1 station higher than FSM says to put them. But that would only get you to 0.095 at the top station (if my 1/8" measurement guess is correct), not .090.