IGNORED

240z - fabbing new front rails

ConVerTT

I am thinking that careful pressure washing can't hurt.....

I am thinking of making a tow bracket out of leftover square tube and then just rolling the whole rotisserie right outside with my truck. Then just carefully pressure wash the bad areas and dry it with the leaf blower.  Roll it back it and then media blast with glass bead...

(The tow hitch is really to use the truck to push it back up the grade into the garage.  I am sure it will roll out just fine ?)

So I repositioned the car a bit on the rotisserie to get better balance. It was fine side to side, but I could feel the weight increase as I rolled it to the vertical position - meaning that it was bottom heavy.  Or the center of gravity of the shell was too low relative to the rotating axis.  So I moved the car up about  2".  

For reference: The mounting bolts are 3 inches below the axis of rotation in the front and 5 inches below the axis of rotation in the back.   The car is still very slightly bottom heavy (on purpose - safer) but she rolls over well by hand (with one hand) or with the worm gear....

ECD4972B-75A2-4D92-9F59-50B6347EF0E8.jpeg

466D8FC9-50EC-459F-9C5C-365E58512D97.jpeg

44E82819-000C-41D3-83B3-8FE9FCAE0016.jpeg

so I probably spent around $350 on steel, $200 on the worm gear, bearings, drive shaft and pinion gears, $50 on bolts and hardware, and I already had the casters laying around - maybe  $60 or so.  So around $650 in round numbers not including shop supplies...

Let the games begin ???

Edited by ConVerTT
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ConVerTT said:

So I repositioned the car a bit on the rotisserie to get better balance. It was fine side to side, but I could feel the weight increase as I rolled it to the vertical position - meaning that it was bottom heavy.  Or the center of gravity of the shell was too low relative to the rotating axis.  So I moved the car up about  2".  

For reference: The mounting bolts are 3 inches below the axis of rotation in the front and 5 inches below the axis of rotation in the back.   The car is still very slightly bottom heavy (on purpose - safer) but the rolls over well with by hand (with one hand) or with the worm gear....

ECD4972B-75A2-4D92-9F59-50B6347EF0E8.jpeg

466D8FC9-50EC-459F-9C5C-365E58512D97.jpeg

44E82819-000C-41D3-83B3-8FE9FCAE0016.jpeg

so I probably spent around $350 on steel, $200 on the worm gear, bearings, drive shaft and pinion gears, $50 on bolts and hardware, and I already had the casters laying around - maybe  $60 or so.  So around $650 in round numbers not including shop supplies...

Let the games begin ???

Thst is a grest piece of equipment you built yourself! I wish I had your talent! 650$ is a very good deal.

If you factor in the hours to build what would be the hourly rate and final cost?

• 4 months later...
On 4/26/2020 at 9:44 AM, ConVerTT said:

Back to welding up the rotisserie...today was brackets, brackets, brackets....

758C5FCE-1525-4FAA-ADFD-6F46F24FBBEA.jpeg

The rear bumper mounts have definitely seen better days, but things seemed pretty rigid once the jam nuts were tightened up ....

309AAA6A-7EE0-4757-A533-064B73B5779D.jpeg

Meanwhile up front ....

8E37C59D-3D2F-4401-8CF5-946066A2A44F.jpeg

I added an additional plate so I can attach the front to both the bumper mounts and hood hinge mounting points...

C671661C-626D-4B47-9195-72D54567CFB8.jpeg

Still need to drill the mounting holes but it should line up something like this ( with the hood off the car of course )....

AD2FE5C9-7730-4F32-8940-902B9B97DB17.jpeg

getting closer - woohoo!

Hi Mate! Can I just say that this is one of my favorite build threads ever... I have read through it about 10 times. you are one skilled human being....

but enough arse kissing, just wondering what the final height from Floor to pivot point for your rotisserie? 

Am about to replicate your chassis frame very soon! So thanks for posting all the plans and measurements 

9 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

Hi Mate! Can I just say that this is one of my favorite build threads ever... I have read through it about 10 times. you are one skilled human being....

but enough arse kissing, just wondering what the final height from Floor to pivot point for your rotisserie? 

Am about to replicate your chassis frame very soon! So thanks for posting all the plans and measurements 

Haha - thanks a bunch.  The pivot is at 41 inches when the rig is on 5 inch casters.

Cheers

240ZBUILTBYME and ConVerTT

While some of us on this forum maintain our Zs, others repair them, and some of us  restore them.  We do what we can do.   But you two guys are on your own planet, building them from raw metal!  

Keep up the good work.   Like out-of-shape sports fans, we're cheering you on from the sidelines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard McDonel said:

240ZBUILTBYME and ConVerTT

While some of us on this forum maintain our Zs, others repair them, and some of us  restore them.  We do what we can do.   But you two guys are on your own planet, building them from raw metal!  

Keep up the good work.   Like out-of-shape sports fans, we're cheering you on from the sidelines.

Thanks but You can’t even put me in the same league as ConverTT!!  He is a true master, I am but an apprentice lol I would be over the moon to do half as good a job as ConverTT!