IGNORED

Looking for new or very nice 240Z winshield

inline6

15 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Would like to hear some feedback from anyone who has gotten this one. I was under the impression only the type with tinted banner were available. I'm going to need a new windshield at some point, and the only OE one available to me would have to be stolen from another car I have. A proper OE windshield replacement would be great to have.

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

I called them some time ago and asked about it.  The guy said the ones they had have a dark band of tint across the top - not what was pictured.  I called them just now and the guy said they are completely tinted all the way through - same shade - of "blue".  Aren't the factory ones green?  He also said they are made in the UK, they have none in stock and no eta.  He hinted as some issues with the agreement with the supplier needing to be resolved.  He also guessed at the name of the manufacturer and I deduced that it is Pilkington.

• Like 1

Summit does indeed list the Pilkington windshield (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pkc-400046793), though it has the blue strip and has been out of stock with a consistently pushed back availability date. I have an outstanding order that is supposed to be shipped on Dec 28, but it's already been moved back three times since September.

• Like 1

I regret not buying that windshield when we discussed it in that thread, I was more worried about getting the car started.  I’ve seen several Zs in junk yards over the past 6 months with windshields but assume they are probably not in the best condition.  Will be looking closer next time.  BTW that 75 Z is was successfully crushed and now in Z Valhalla.  I called the yard last month and its steel was sent to China to make coat hangers, 

Good luck on your quest. If I come across one that is good I’ll let you know,  There is a yard about 90 miles from me that has 4 or 5 unpicked over 280Z’s.  I plan of going back next month with a parts list of things I need.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, inline6 said:

I need a high quality one that looks like factory - not the ones available with the band of dark tint across the top.  This is for a near stock restoration.  Will spend for the right one in great condition.  Thanks.

Garrett

@inline6 I don't recall what car I pulled this from. The windshield has been sitting in my shed for over 6 years.  More than likely from a 280Z, but have helped others dismantle other year chassis, and I always remarked "You gunna throw THAT away??"

Looking at the pictures, there is no tinting, nor any etching from a Japanese company. I can get better pictures this weekend if desired. First dibs goes to you as the OP. Second dibs goes to @rturbo 930

I'm guessing I'm halfway between both of you, biggest expense besides time and gas will be getting a cardboard box large enough and cushion wrap  so that it doesn't break during delivery.

Yes, all dirt, dust and white paint along with the out-dated oil-change sticker are included at no charge.

20181219_184745.jpg20181219_184751.jpg

3 hours ago, rturbo 930 said:

I'm going to need a new windshield at some point, and the only OE one available to me would have to be stolen from another car I have. A proper OE windshield replacement would be great to have.

• Like 1

Both new or near new condition and source (etching) are important for the windshield I source for the car I am currently restoring, as it is going to be "frame off" (never have liked using that term)... "every square millimeter being redone" - restoration.  However, with windshields being very rare at the moment, that makes the value of yours go up, doesn't it?!

1 minute ago, inline6 said:

However, with windshields being very rare at the moment, that makes the value of yours go up, doesn't it?!

@inline6 Watching the ZCon 2018 judges this year, I'm not so sure. I guarantee I never paid more than $600 for any parts car I bought and dismantled. PM me if you want and we can discuss options.

• Like 1