IGNORED

Wonder why the Internet is slow?

When you go to CNN.com, ~95 other websites or processes start up and your browser is overloaded.

I checked other news sites and BBC loads the least.

Try loading each of these websites below to see the difference of an old school site with no BS spy/analytics/snooping crap...even with lots of images it is faster.

image.png

The internet is dead.

• Like 1

Uncontrolled pop-ups are a big irritation with me.   ABC is a big offender.  They think every text story has to have a video ad and then video clip at the beginning.  As soon as I scroll past it, a small pop-up video box appears at the lower right to continue the presentation.  Then I have to kill that box to read the story without distraction.

I'm pretty sure that these sites calculate how many users they lose against how much bandwidth that they can fill with tracking software and ads.  A 56K modem used to be super-fast.  The internet is not for information communication anymore, it's for commerce.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

The internet is not for information communication anymore, it's for commerce.

Except classiczcars.com!

I've been involved in a few other forums for toys I've owned but just long enough to get the answers I needed.  This is something different though.

@Mike I especially thank you for what you have created here. 

• Like 4

Ads and tracking are only a (small) part of the story. Fact is, the modern web is just tremendously complicated. If you want a peek at what's going on under the hood when you visit a site, just right-click on a page and select "Inspect" to open the dev tools, then click on the "Network" tab. 

ETA: and Zed is right. Every bigger site out there is doing extensive testing. You and I may hate the autoplayed videos that dock to the corner, but they increase some important metric on aggregate, so they'll stay until they don't.

Edited by charliekwin

41 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Except classiczcars.com!

I've been involved in a few other forums for toys I've owned but just long enough to get the answers I needed.  This is something different though.

@Mike I especially thank you for what you have created here. 

Thanks @siteunseen, it's been a lot of hard work for sure...  

31 minutes ago, charliekwin said:

Ads and tracking are only a (small) part of the story. Fact is, the modern web is just tremendously complicated. If you want a peek at what's going on under the hood when you visit a site, just right-click on a page and select "Inspect" to open the dev tools, then click on the "Network" tab. 

ETA: and Zed is right. Every bigger site out there is doing extensive testing. You and I may hate the autoplayed videos that dock to the corner, but they increase some important metric on aggregate, so they'll stay until they don't.

One thing I refuse to use are the pop-up ads.  They are annoying and typically turn away users.  The in-page banner ads have been working to help smaller sites like ours stay afloat.  We have been forced to make them bigger because the small ads just don't pay as much anymore.  It all depends on metrics and, as the internet changes, we all have to make adjustments.  There are ways to make ads work the right way, unfortunately the bigger sites just put these ads wherever they want.

• Like 3