IGNORED

Hazard Switch not working - Blinkers OK

Labubre

Hi,

I've been through some forums before posting this.

Got a 77 Z, one day had to activate hazard signal because of very slow traffic...

I press the button and instead of activating the signlas i got a strange noise "brzz" and saw the battery indicator going down to "0".

Right after i also noticed the loss of blinkers, but don't know how or why, they came back to life by themselves.

Status is that:

When i activate the hazard, no signal and hazard are not working.

When i activate blinkers, they both work, but if i press the hazard signal, they will stop working.

Oh, my battery signla is still akward, sometimes showing full battery, sometimes going down to "0" by himself. Yesterday, i even saw the gauge moving when i was pressing onto the brake pedal...

I have all technical documentation, and if my english is good, my hands are still bad and i don't get a think in electricity...

I have a garage shop owner that loves my car but that does not speak english...what a team!

I would like to start investigating this winter on it and fix it as i shall be in trouble at next technical car review.

Any help, drawings, experience feedback would be very helpfull.

Thanks you guys

Seb

You may need a new relay for the hazard lights. If the car is stock, you should see to relays that look the same. They are under the driver's side of the dash. They look similar to the relay in this picture: 

Flasher relay.jpg

One is for the turn signals, and the other is for the hazard lights.

Try swapping the two relays, and see if the hazard lights work. 

If it is bad, you could get a flasher relay like this one: https://www.amazon.com/DOCA-Flasher-Electronic-Compatible-Warning/dp/B07DF94B66.

On 11/25/2018 at 12:07 PM, SteveJ said:

Oh, you can find a copy of the wiring diagram in the first link in my signature. Just look for the electrical section.

Hi Steve,

Not sure if you are aware, but there have been several revisions to the '77 wiring diagram since it was first posted in 2004.

It is now at Revision M, and can only be downloaded on this site. Heck, even the download section still has Revision F, so make sure you read the comment posted there.

Wayne

m.JPG

13 minutes ago, ryanotown22 said:

How much different is 77 to 78 for wiring?

I am aware of the AFM, oil pressure, fuel pump relay location being different, others can chime in and add to the list.

There are 1978 color coded wiring diagrams out there now...

32 minutes ago, ryanotown22 said:

Rephrased to what are the differences in the wiring diagrams LOL

Are you asking for specific, pin by pin, wire by wire differences? Confused by the fact there are high resolution diagrams for your 1978, and some that have been colorized. Are you using a 1977 diagram to diagnose and troubleshoot your 1978? I would not suggest doing that.  To me, that's like working on the Sears Tower Building and requesting blue prints for the World Trade Center Buildings as they were in construction within a year of each other.

• Like 1

Have you, by any chance, inspected the hazard switch itself?  I don't know your cars maintenance history so it could just be a simple dirty 41 year old hazard switch or connection.  I would suggest cleaning all of the electrical connections when you start to go through the wiring diagram to diagnose.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:41 AM, gwri8 said:

Have you, by any chance, inspected the hazard switch itself?  I don't know your cars maintenance history so it could just be a simple dirty 41 year old hazard switch or connection.  I would suggest cleaning all of the electrical connections when you start to go through the wiring diagram to diagnose.

Thanks. Will do! hope one of these proposal will work...because i am afraid to get lost in the wiring diagram, it's like a maze to me!!!!

PS: love the color, original Datsun paint? racing green?