IGNORED

'78 Black Pearl Restoration

Pace

A bit of progress from this past weekend. We finally found some time to tackle replacing the worn/broken EFI connectors in the engine bay. Got to everything but the AFM. I also swapped in a new coolant temp sensor for the ECU. This made a noticeable difference in how it started when cold (less turnover time) and allowed the engine to idle a bit smoother: somewhat sewing machine-like we noticed. It still isn't 100% and I've got a laundry list of things to rule out. But we took it around the neighborhood and even got it out on some of the higher speed busier roads: 40mph, woo!

Unfortunately, about halfway to the nearby Autozone, it started to misfire and stutter under load. So we turned back. I'm borrowing a fuel pressure gauge to make sure it's getting enough fuel and will probably be checking/replacing the AFM wiring next. I've also bookmarked a few things in the EFI Bible to check out.

Sunday's work was a bit of backwards progress: I got tired of the sharp hazard that was the cut/pinched antenna mast. So I tore apart the rear half of the interior to remove that for the time being. Found a touch of thin flaky rust in the inner driver side rear wheel well (not surprising) and lost about a half dozen plastic rivet pins to the quarter panel abyss. I also found a couple old Datsun space-saver inflators... or make-shift CO2 bombs as my SO reminded me. Those have been relocated to a shady spot away from the cars for the time being.

I've also removed the hazard switch to clean and refurbish. The turn signals work, but hazards are non-existent. Pretty easy to see why with how corroded the rocker inside was. The little light bulb was also burnt out, so I'm trying to find what size/style to replace it with.

Other than installing new tire & detailing, I'm not planning on doing much work to get our Z31 ready for ZCON. So I'm hoping we can spend a bit more time on some side projects with the S30 in the following weeks. Stay tuned.

Doing wiring work.

48038896856_ad7d65e05e_k.jpg

EFI wiring old & busted. Sorry about the blurry pic - I was feeling a bit over-caffeinated.

48038938833_3f93776807_b.jpg

Part-way through install with new connectors.

48039001347_6189679530_b.jpg

Sharp object hazard removed.

48039076327_0106f0f43e_k.jpg

Temporary hole.

48038973136_f49043ee74_k.jpg

The cubby-hole find.

48039013953_d5725e93b0_k.jpg

Getting a closer look at it. Broke one (!) bolt while removing the raised floor brackets. So frustrating.

48038973651_429ed7abe9_k.jpg

Sitting pretty-ish.

48039001242_42bf5bd4f2_b.jpg

Edited by Pace
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, S30Driver said:

Very nice efi connector refresh Noah!    Antenna looks like it could use some attention ....  lol

Good looking car.

He did a good job! It's not the prettiest for now - I forgot to order the powerbraid sheathing. But more importantly, it works.

The antenna hole will be plugged temporarily. I think I found a short "stubby" metal antenna that will work in place of the retractable version. 

And thank you. It's a bit rusty and has a long way to go. But it has potential.

Edited by Pace

• 3 months later...

Small update: found some time on Saturday to focus on the S30. I had previously picked up some small things from Z Car Depot a few weeks ago and was eager to do something with them: new water temp sensor & nut for the gauge, thermostat, antenna hole plug, and an inline fuel pressure gauge. 

Honestly, it's probably been two months since the Z was last started, so I wasn't entirely surprised that it didn't want to start right off the bat like it usually does. It turned over but wouldn't start. I checked a spark plug and found it to be dry - decided this would be a good time to install the fuel pressure gauge. After hooking it up and checking for leaks, it turned over again but wasn't building much pressure (<6psi). Thinking the fuel level may be lower than we thought (fuel gauge doesn't work) I opened the gas cap to listen for sloshing and noticed a large build up of pressure release from the tank. This reminded me of a similar issue a friend had with his Montero in the summer months - so I replaced the cap and turned the key once more. It started right up and fuel pressure showed to be >38psi while idling and higher when revved (pre-regulator readings). So we now suspect that the evap lines from the tank need to be checked/cleared out.

I also borrowed a timing light and was able to check ignition timing on the engine. Unfortunately the crank pulley marks are way off from the marker on the block, even after adjusting the distributor all the way. I did some brief searching and came up with a few likely causes: 1. a slipped crank pulley (this one does have a decent amount of wobble while running) 2. the oil pump spline gear being a tooth off from the distributor? 3. a hidden adjuster on the distributor bracket that may allow for more adjustment being off.

With some of the sketchy "solutions" a previous mechanic has done on this car, I'm questioning his/her competence with things like this. So I wouldn't rule out any of these possible culprits. Our next step will be to pick up a TDC stop tool and measure things ourselves.

Any thoughts or input? The engine does start and run, but is noticeably down on power compared to how it should be: even with the leaky exhaust manifold & valves that probably need adjustment.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Pace

• 11 months later...

Coming up on a year without an update: oops.

Not much to say. Unfortunately with a newer job and Covid, the BP has pretty much sat. Since the weather wasn't as hot yesterday, we did get it started and backed out of the garage for a much-needed oil change. It still had year-old oil mixed with Marvel Mystery Oil. I didn't want to do too much with it since the crank pulley issue is still present. But it got up to operating temp with a short drive around the block. Fuel pressure still looks good at idle and under free-revving, but it does start to miss under load once things have warmed up. This also seems to coincide with a build-up of pressure behind the fuel cap. I guess I need to get a few things in order so we can further explore this issue.

Side note: Even with monster truck suspension, the 280Z is laughably tiny next to our Jeep.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, S30Driver said:

Thanks for the update.   Bring it up to Branson in October so we can critique it ...  ?

Currently it can't make it to the nearest auto parts store. ? But you're welcome to swing by and critique it anytime.