IGNORED

In case you missed it

87mj

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-toyota-2000gt/

I'm aware of these cars, the story behind Yamaha, what they are and so on.  Don't get me wrong, I really like them.  But if they were worth the same money as a 240z and two cars were sitting side by side, I think the Z has more visual appeal.  That is of course assuming the Z isn't wearing its factory hubcaps.

There are certain views of that car that I think are great. Like the side profile view. then things like the front view I don't really like. I also like the exhaust in the center and the wooden dash interior. That's a lot of money with 5 days to go. I would think it would get close to $1 mil

The Toyota 2000GT is a beautiful car.  To fully appreciate it, you have to actually see one in person. 

Back in 2013, I went to a concurs in San Luis Obispo, California, where this example was on display.  What strikes you is how much smaller the 2000GT is compared to a 240Z.  The level of effort Toyota devoted to the design, quality of materials and execution surpassed anything before it from Japan.  In 1967, these cars sold for around $7,000 which was more than a corvette of the time.  As with the 240Z, these little Toyotas have a special place in my heart.  Given a choice, I would want both ?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The Toyota's value is created by two factors: 1) rarity, and; 2) halo effect from being featured, in period, in an early James Bond movie (see also: Aston Martin DB5).  Of course, it needs to be an attractive car, too, but -- as demonstrated by the 240Z -- that's not enough.   Scarcity + Cachet ('exotic') = $$$$$.

As noted above, the car is surprisingly small when seen in person.  I read somewhere that the Bond film producers wanted to use a coupe for the film but the lead actor, Sean Connery, couldn't sit in the car without hitting the roof.

The car has some lovely lines in side profile, but the styling details used at the front and rear ends are 'unique'.

3 hours ago, NVZEE said:

Pete Brock did this video for another 2000GT auction several years ago: 

That's high praise indeed from such a respected authority as Mr Pete Brock, and I have the great pleasure of pretty much agreeing with him. 

Way back in the early 1990s I attended a Japanese Toyota 2000GT owner's club meeting at Tsukuba Circuit, and was very kindly allowed a drive of several laps around the circuit in a beautiful silver RHD MF10. What a revelation! Like putting on a bespoke Savile Row suit, it just felt 'right'. A proper Japanese GT car. Loved it.

Some pretty stupid comments on Bring-A-Trailer (the worst - some idiot claiming that Toyota "stole" the design etc etc - flagged up and deleted) as usual when it comes to Japanese cars. You know the drill...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NVZEE said:

Pete Brock did this video for another 2000GT auction several years ago: 

Haha, around 0:20 he says the cockpit has a very open feeling. Not trying to be rash but didn't you just say it was very small? I wonder if my 6.2 body would also feel it as open LOL

Though tbh I don't know much so I may be completely wrong :unsure:

4 minutes ago, lordkarma88 said:

Haha, around 0:20 he says the cockpit has a very open feeling. Not trying to be rash but didn't you just say it was very small? I wonder if my 6.2 body would also feel it as open LOL

Though tbh I don't know much so I may be completely wrong :unsure:

I bet if you had one, you’d make it fit ?

• Haha 1

If I may be so bold, I would note Mr....88 that your body did not figure in Toyota's demographic calculations for what was intended as a Japanese market only image car.

The bodywork reflected the best of contemporary styling but with a distinctive interpretation that did not betray a derivative approach. The lines are simple and effective without a trace of cliche. But like people, one has to look below the skin to understand what makes it tick so well.

DOHC in-line six with triple carbs and cross-flow heads, 5-speed gearbox, wishbones at all four corners, LSD, and largely hand-built. At the time it was released, it was well known that the GT was sold at a "subsidized" price as a halo vehicle.

This was a whole different league than the Z, which is reflected in the current values of each. The GT's rarity is just the icing on the cake of investment collecting

• Like 1
  • Haha 1