IGNORED

Holy $^!# I bought a turd

mattjcr240

They need oil to prevent going lean during acceleration. 20w is recommended but many use ATF. There is a small indentation on the stem! Wait a minute, just looked at your pic again. Are the oil height indentations on your stems the same? In the pic I can't tell. I'm wondering if that odd cap on the front carb is from a different SU?

33 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

They need oil to prevent going lean during acceleration. 20w is recommended but many use ATF. There is a small indentation on the stem! Wait a minute, just looked at your pic again. Are the oil height indentations on your stems the same? In the pic I can't tell. I'm wondering if that odd cap on the front carb is from a different SU?

both caps are plastic. I guess I could use the 20w and use the one stock indentation to measure both carbs.

What are you hoping to do with this car?  There's not going to be one or two simple things to do to get it running like a top.  People can piece-meal you closer but a hose here, some carb oil there, is going to take you a long time.  Are you going to keep the funky CAI and exhaust tube intake system or go back to the stock air filter?

Just asking.  It's good entertainment to do one small fix at a time, either way.

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

What are you hoping to do with this car?  There's not going to be one or two simple things to do to get it running like a top.  People can piece-meal you closer but a hose here, some carb oil there, is going to take you a long time.  Are you going to keep the funky CAI and exhaust tube intake system or go back to the stock air filter?

Just asking.  It's good entertainment to do one small fix at a time, either way.

I want to get the car running as good as I can. i have decent fabrication skills i can weld bungs in here or there modify the Intake if need be. I'm looking for a fair to good running car that I can enjoy driving with some reliability. its definitely not going back to stock unless that will greatly improve throttle response and drivability. this car is going to be a budget hot rod for me. really appreciate the input from some of you who are more familiar with this setup. and figured some of you would enjoy this FrankenZ... brother in law thinks I should just drop a sbc in it and forget about the inline6 but I would like to see how good I could get it ✌

4 hours ago, siteunseen said:

The short rod is missing from the fast idle screw for some reason.

I've never told a new member to download the Service Manual on my first reply but you need it bad. :wow:

post-7641-14150814749082_thumb.gif

hahaha I have the fuel section of the FSM downloaded although I cant see where the short rod would go

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

I'd recommend contacting ZTherapy.com and order their "Just SUs" DVD. Lot's of info and tests you can do to improve the performance of the SUs. I would fill both carbs with 20w to the level indicated on the rear carb. Fire it up and see what it needs next.

thanks. will do