IGNORED

Used harmonic balancer

rcb280z

A few months back I had to replace my harmonic balancer on my 77 280z with an aftermarket one. I damaged my stock one reinstalling it after replacing a leaky front main. It's in my "Tackling 2 leaks, rad and front main" thread. Since then I have acquired a stock one from a 75. I would like your opinion on the condition of it from the pics I loaded. Do you think I should have it rebuilt due to the crack in the rubber? Also just noticed a groove in the snout. I measure 1.88 inches above and below the grove and 1.86 inside the groove. I'm thinking the groove isn't going to cause a problem but want your opinion. And not sure I should use it with the crack in the rubber. If you guys feel the same I'll send it off to be rebuilt. I'm not racing it. Just some spirited driving occasionally. 

Thanks

used damper.jpg

used damper 2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I had my stock balancer rebuilt and based on the condition of yours, I would do the same thing.  I used Dale Manufacturing, link below and the work was just as expected at a very reasonable price.  Regarding the grooves in the snout, a repair sleeve is what you need.  Any competent machine shot can install one for you to regain the stock spec.  I would look in to getting the sleeve done first before having it rebuilt.

http://www.hbrepair.com/

FYI, the sleeves are typically from SKF, Speedy Sleeve or Timkens Redi Sleeve, at least that's the only one's I've seen. 

No, check that, I've also seen listing for these sleeves on RockAuto too. Point here is that they are easy to use and install yourselves. Don't be afraid to try. 

15 hours ago, rcb280z said:

Not afraid to try. Just making sure I don't jump into anything like I did when I bought the used balancer. 

Hey Bob, would you like a refund for the balancer? I didn’t realize you were having problems with it.

Jeff

No Jeff. Not even considering that. These are getting harder to find and without any defects is nearly impossible, IMO. 

I have a bad habit of not checking things out closer when buying them. Can't seem to break that habit. That no way means I want a refund. Just advice on whether it needs to be rebuilt and I received the advice I was looking for.

I am grateful I found an original. Now to get it rebuilt. It'll be like new then.