IGNORED

front suspension and tire clearance problem

newbzee

I have an issue where I have the same tires and rims on the front of my 73 240z but upon reassemble after frame rail rebuilding I'm noticing that the passenger side tire looks fine but the drivers side tire is rubbing against the spring seat.  When I didi the repair I maintained the exact front crossmember hole placement and everything lined up and bolted up fine.  This was not an issue prior to taking the from suspension and cross member apart so I'm wonder what could be so far off.  Shouldn't both sides be equal distances?

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

The spindle that fits into the hub is a fixed piece to the strut and basically sets the angle there. Like ZedHead is saying, it has to be in the hub, bearings or the wheel. Nothing else would affect that area of clearance

Has it ever rolled?  Not clear what the history of the car is.  If the wheels are the same and the hubs correctly assembled with bearings then the strut is bent or broken.  Or you have mismatched wheels.  Did you get one of your backs on the front and they have different offsets?

Just to clarify, when I removed the suspension, the engine was out and I unbolted from the frame rails then the struts were unbolted and the whole front assembly was slid out from under the car.  Could that drivers assembly have bent doing that?  Seems like very little stress to cause a bend.

All is as it was when I rolled it into the shop, but interesting thought, both front tires were off together so I wonder one is different.  The rears never came off.  I don't know the history either, but it ran and drove when I got it so something changed.

I'm going to switch the tires this morning.  I'm trying to remember if there is anything else I did on that side to effect this.  Now I'm wondering if I didn't lower the shock to test it while it was in the car.  I vaguely remember messing with it to see if I could use the weight of the car as a spring compressor to disassemble it like I did in the past with my son's Jetta.  I'm looking at the picture of the assembly that is rubbing and that shock doesn't look centered in the spring.

Two key points when doing anything with suspension or steering (lifting car off ground or replacing parts):

1.  If car is just lifted off ground, the wheels will camber in when lowered. It must be rolled a few feet back and forth to settle into its natural position.

2. When unbolting and/or replacing any part, the bolt or part must be re-torqued after doing the above and/or loading the part (e.g. if the wheel is off, and a strut is being replaced, a jack must be placed under the strut and the strut lifted enough to simulate loading it before torquing the strut bolts.).

In your case I would just loosen all the bolts to just snug and roll the car back and forth to see if the wheels better align.

Here is a 240z that was lifted then lowered without rolling.  The camber of the rear is very positive.

image.png

camber.png

Edited by 240260280