IGNORED

Rear suspension arms bushings

17 hours ago, cgsheen1 said:

Then they stiffed you on those bushings...  The Energy master kit comes with bushings and metal sleeves to replace both sides of the rear lower control arm bushings (inner and outer (inboard and outboard)).  I was going to make a comment on your pictures of the LCA, rear hub, and pristine (if dirty) lock pin nut.  It's obvious that no one has pulled your spindle pin.  And it's very obvious that a new set of poly bushings has NOT been installed on the outboard side.

(In the picture above, the bushings for the rear outboard LCA are just above the steering rack bushings (8 black "tophats" and 4 metal tubes) - just above them is half of the inboard bushings for the rear LCA (4 large "tophats" and 2 large tubes))

edit: Looking at the pics again, those might be poly bushings, and the shop might have had a bad time getting getting that hub and LCA back together again...  (Is it really that dirty in Panama??  Only 3 years?)  With the Energy poly bushings, there should be bushing showing between the LCA and the hub -  it's a VERY tight fit and difficult to get together without damaging the bushing.  They may have cut that one putting it back together...  Those bushings can be a real challenge if you haven't done it a time or two. 

Please let me know which kit must i order for both arms. I guess that shop did not had the required experience and i am taking it to another shop where i can supervise what they are doing. 

Perhaps I have an insite. Fact. He had a set of poly bushings installed. If you have done this job, you will remember that the inner and outer half of each of the pairs of outer rear control arm bushings have a thin lip on them.

Here is a picture of rear control bushings from energy suspension. The outer set is in the center of the picture.

IMG_3459.JPGWhen installed that thin lip would visible/present in that gap, unlike stock where the inner bushing is completely different and has no lips. That's what is damaged in his picture, part of the lip is gone. Does it matter? No. If the pin bolt is properly torqued, the inner metal tube in the control arm is locked to the face of the strut where the pin goes through. Since the control rotates with respect to the strut at this point, that lip can get damaged. Does not matter.

As long as that horrible sticky grease the bushings come with is generously used on the spindle pin, it will last for ever. 

• Like 2

I think that you're probably right.  If he had told the whole story from the beginning it might have been more clear.

Polyurethane is over-applied for the Z's I think.  The sellers are just replacing rubber willy-nilly, no deep thought about appropriate usage.  More parts equals more money.  It probably is falling apart because it has dried out and the lip is too think for the gap.  I'd replace them with stock Nissan rubber.

I wish I'd used rubber instead of the polyurethane in hindsight but the Energy Suspension kit was complete and readily available plus much cheaper.  The poly is okay just to harsh for me.  

I've learned a lot since I started reading/researching instead of asking what whomever happens to be replying to my post recommends.

Even better...

Edited by siteunseen