IGNORED

Maxima emergency brake brackets.

Chickenman

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:54 PM, Chickenman said:

Any how. Two problems with the Z Car depot calipers.

1: As delivered. The center hole is too small for the 280Z rear cable to fit through. It has to be drilled larger by about 0.80". Actually a carbide tipped grinder works better as the hole has a cutout to slip the cable through. That causes the Drill to " walk " and create an oblong hole. Nuts!!

2: If you are using the larger 289mm 300ZX rotors, the cable bracket will align the emergency cable smack dab in the middle of your rear sway bar. Not good. You have to Bend the bracket some more to change the angle. Not good as it's freakin" thick.

3: If you are using the smaller 256 mm 300ZX rotors, you will probably be OK... as the emergency cable should now clear the rear sway bar.  

@zcardepot.com

Hey Ryan,

A little feedback with issues----thought you might want to know.

Good info above--worth the read to completely understand.

^ Yeah. I sent Z-Car depot an e-mail on these E-brake bracket issues about a week ago. So far have received no reply from them .

I also purchased the original Caliper conversion brackets from Z-CarDepot. 

To there credit. Z-Car depot gave me a heads up on the Maxima caliper issues. After I called them via phone due to fitment issues.  Turns out the adapter brackets are the same for both the 256mm and 289 mm conversion adapters. It's the Maxima caliper frames that are different. No where is this information readily available. That information would have been help full from the start.

They mentioned that they had been running into this issue more and more often in the last 6 months or so. Seems there is a shortage of the cores with the large frames, and the Remanufacturers are just throwing anything they have on them. Nice quality control. 

Full disclosure. If I had bought there complete kit I would likely have had no issues, with the Caliper mounting brackets. (  E-Brake brackets would still have been an issue ) .  But I purchased the Rotors and Calipers separately, thinking I could save some money.  And initially I did. Turns out that plan back fired with the caliper frame problems. 

Personally, I think it's time to switch to a different make of caliper and conversion bracket design, that is easier to get and less problematic. The Ford rear calipers are plentiful. As are GM PBR aluminium calipers. These are super easy to get, have a better Pad selection and include a built in park brake. They also are designed for bigger rotors. The larger pads last longer and cover the complete surface of the rotor. . I will probably be switching to GM PBR calipers a little later down the road.  I'll get my machinist friend ( Byron Maston ) to modify these conversion brackets or make new ones. 

Edited by Chickenman

Well I just got lucky I got a drivers side caliper ARC 50-8691 from Amazon is the model and it’s a large frame and fits. They are now sold out of it.

I also ordered NUGEON 9900526B (99-00526B) for passenger side from rock auto The picture shows correct bracket but we will see when it arrives. I also agree with you that the secret sauce of this kit is the mounting bracket and there are better more available calipers out there for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Thanks for all the info Chickenman.

You see some upgrades and you read comments like "It was a pita", but they don't elaborate much further than that. Maybe because they want to move on or don't see the need to.

5 hours ago, Chickenman said:

I will probably be switching to GM PBR calipers a little later down the road.  I'll get my machinist friend ( Byron Maston ) to modify these conversion brackets or make new ones. 

It would be nice if you made a thread for this conversion when it happens. It might help some of us that may end up needing some additional back brakes or have issue with the maxima conversion. A pictorial thread would be especially nice.

8 hours ago, Chickenman said:

I'll see what I can do . Mind you, at the pace I move it may be another 3 to 4 years till I get around to it. Bedroom parts stash got too big and I finally had to start installing things.. LOL

I totally understand. It takes two years to get to anything on my list and I am 6 years in on my restoration.