IGNORED

"77 Z issues with KYB + VOGTLAND lowering springs

Labubre

Hi,

Did someone faced the same issue???

New KYB with right reference at their respective position front/rear.

+

Vogtland springs with right reference

=

Spring gap of 0,5 inch for the rear, and bit less for the front

Carbody shop refused to install them pretending it was too dangerous...

Does the strut spacer needs to be removed? Is that safe?

Thanks for ideas and experience sharing

Seb

That's pretty common with lowering springs. You will not have any pre-load and the spring will rattle a bit at full droop.  Find a different shop. They just don't want to do the job, or are idiots. 

Body shops are NOT the place to take a car for mechanical repairs. 

Lots of people running Vogtland springs with KYB shocks in stock struts. No issues at all.  Edit: I had Eibach lowering springs with KYB shocks in my 1976 280Z. No issues aa all. Other than the front Eibach springs were a bit too soft ( Progressive ) for my taste. Eibach and Vogtland springs lower an S30 nearly the same amount. The Vogtlands; are a bit stiffer I believe.  I've since switched to Coil overs up front  and modified the rear setup.

Not sure what you are referring to as a strut spacer, but nothing has to be removed.

If by strut spacer you mean a shock Bump stop ( Fits over shock absorber shaft ), then you may want to shorten the bump stop by the amount the springs lower the car ( about 1.0" ). To maintain full suspension travel. But Eibach or Vogtland street lowering springs are usually not an issue. They only lower the car a moderate amount. 

Edited by Chickenman

• 2 weeks later...

@Chickenman, thanks for feedback. "Strut spacer" is more like "strut centering part at the bottom". German Zist are removing this during installation.

My mechanic warned me about some risk of installing spring that way, we have a lot of bumps on our roads here to slow down traffic, and if wheel takes off, the spring could get out of its location and then serious issue can happen...

Coilover is more expensive but seems to be the safer way to go.

Not going to happen.  In reality the damper ( shock ) should never extend fast enough for the spring to come unseated. If you are catching enough air for a long enough period for that to happen.... popping a spring is the last thing you have to worry about.  Dukes of Hazard style!! Yeeee Haaawww !!! 

And a simple and dirt cheap fix. Drill  a couple of small holes in the outer lip of the lower spring seat. Use some Heavy Duty Zip Ties to secure the lower coil of the spring to the spring seat. Now it will remain on place and be centered.... always. 

Used to do this on my Race cars. Not for fear of having a spring jump out of it;s seat over bumps, but for ease of dis-assembly when pulling the suspension apart .

About the only way you could Pop a spring is if you are Rallying the car on Race springs. Or trying to play Steve McQueen in Bullitt down the Yumps of San Francisco.

That being said. I do not know the MOT standards in France. They may require an Inspection for this type of modification. 

• 1 year later...
On 8/3/2018 at 11:30 AM, Chickenman said:

That's pretty common with lowering springs. You will not have any pre-load and the spring will rattle a bit at full droop.  Find a different shop. They just don't want to do the job, or are idiots. 

Body shops are NOT the place to take a car for mechanical repairs. 

Lots of people running Vogtland springs with KYB shocks in stock struts. No issues at all.  Edit: I had Eibach lowering springs with KYB shocks in my 1976 280Z. No issues aa all. Other than the front Eibach springs were a bit too soft ( Progressive ) for my taste. Eibach and Vogtland springs lower an S30 nearly the same amount. The Vogtlands; are a bit stiffer I believe.  I've since switched to Coil overs up front  and modified the rear setup.

Not sure what you are referring to as a strut spacer, but nothing has to be removed.

If by strut spacer you mean a shock Bump stop ( Fits over shock absorber shaft ), then you may want to shorten the bump stop by the amount the springs lower the car ( about 1.0" ). To maintain full suspension travel. But Eibach or Vogtland street lowering springs are usually not an issue. They only lower the car a moderate amount. 

I'm new to the z world  I have a 280z 78 and I have vogtland  lower springs  I believe  is 1.25 inch all around now I'm trying to get some wheels and tires  I'm interest on rotas rkr 15x8  but  what size of wheel and tires would you recommend with those lower springs  since you had them before 

The 8" width wheels might be no problem for the fitment on the rear,  but the front will have rubbing issues unless you plan on modifying the fenders for clearance.

7" wheels would be a better choice for the front,  some use a staggerd  wheel fitment of 7" on the front and 8" for the rear.  Unless you are enamored with the 15" diameter wheels, 16x7 is a smarter choice from a greater tire selection standpoint.  Many, including me run 16x7 all around with 205 55 16 tires with no issues on a moderately lowered car.  This fitment is very close to the stock diameter wheels and tires.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I’ll just jump on this thread . Ordered new Votglands and KYBs for a 71 . Spring diameter is smaller by a good 1/4” - so they don’t want to seat a full coil in the perch - especially the top hat . 

5E2B947F-DF55-4241-A445-1BC012E4BF29.jpeg

3 hours ago, madkaw said:

I’ll just jump on this thread . Ordered new Votglands and KYBs for a 71 . Spring diameter is smaller by a good 1/4” - so they don’t want to seat a full coil in the perch - especially the top hat . 

5E2B947F-DF55-4241-A445-1BC012E4BF29.jpeg

Screenshot_20200527-161124_eBay.jpg

37 minutes ago, Soedward11 said:

I got mine from jdmwerks too. They fit well on my 72.

That black spring looks really big wire diameter. Is that supposed to be stock?

They look heavier than the Vogtlands. To me anyway.

1 hour ago, gundee said:

I got mine from jdmwerks too. They fit well on my 72.

That black spring looks really big wire diameter. Is that supposed to be stock?

They look heavier than the Vogtlands. To me anyway.

That’s a stock spring .