IGNORED

What are you doing to get ready for ZCON 2018??

Zup

My Zilver is hankerin' to get spruced up for ZCON  2018 in Atlanta.

1st on my list of many:

NOS Nichira muffler waiting to take its first deep breath--no more deductions for a "rusty tailpipe" or "can dirt".  

DSCN0699.JPG

DSCN0697.JPG

DSCN0694.JPG

In storage for years. Time to go to work. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

I'm doing this:

Hmmmmm---tantalizing photo!

There's something goin' on there--damned if I know what though.  :CLINDOEIL:

What say ye Capt'n??

Haha! Bowl drains to help with things like carb adjustments and tuning (things like float level and fuel pump testing) and draining for off-season storage.

P1010019.JPG

What I was just doing a couple days ago was replacing the copper washers with nylon because the copper was too hard and it took too much torque to get them to seal. I switched over to nylon for a better seal. Here's a pic of the screws with the previous copper sealing washers:
P1010012.JPG

Now with the nylon, dry as a bone at a completely reasonable torque:
bowldrain.jpg

• Like 2

sooooo-- metal shavings master, are those early flat top bottoms that you've reworked?

are those bosses you've tapped through where the (later versions??) heatshield with spacer would normally go?

Nice way to drain for storage for sure----

As a side query:

Do the later stepped floats fit the early integral fuel bowl chambers?

Those are the later versions that I've reworked. Yes, those bosses were originally intended for attachment of the small heat shields to the undersides of the carbs, but I repurposed them for the bowl drains. Milled them flat (for a good sealing surface), drilled through, and tapped.

I don't think I've ever seen a pair of really early flat tops with my own two beady eyes, but it appears from the documentation that those bosses have been there since the beginning. Here's a snippet from one of the docs where they compare the old and new style float bowl covers. First (early) design on the left, and second (later) design on the right. The first design cover is flat on the outside, while the later design is not flat on the outside because they have the recessed pools for additional fuel. But they all have the heat shield mounting bosses:
oldvsnew1.jpg

And about the floats... The float design is very different between first and second designs and I don't think there's any possibility that they are interchangeable. And even if you find you CAN physically mount the wrong design into place, I don't think you want to do that. On the early design, the float mounting ears are on the inside surface of the bowl cover, while on the second design, the float pin goes through the body of the carb itself and is sealed with the brass hex cap. Completely different.

Here's a snippet from the docs that shows the differences between the two. New (second design) on the left, first (original design) on the right:

oldvsnew2.jpg

• Thanks 1

Getting c5-c7 replaced in my neck . Hopefully enough time for me to recoup to drive the 6+ hours . Won’t get much done on car before hand . Might have to pay someone to wax it -lol, that would be weird !

Been too busy trying to finish this 280z to do anything on mine . Really wanted my L28 in there , but alas....

Edited by madkaw

5 hours ago, madkaw said:

Getting c5-c7 replaced in my neck . Hopefully enough time for me to recoup to drive the 6+ hours . Won’t get much done on car before hand . Might have to pay someone to wax it -lol, that would be weird !

Been too busy trying to finish this 280z to do anything on mine . Really wanted my L28 in there , but alas....

THAT SUCKS! I hope it helps! Go ahead and get some bullseye type mirrors to spread around the car as your looking over your shoulder will be diminished.