IGNORED

California 1978 Datsun 280z Restomod

Kevin McSweeney

It's been a long time since I updated this, but I have been working on it between actual paid work, moving house, travelling, buying another Z (Z32 Twin Turbo) etc.

Anyway, drivetrain is back in! Yes, I wish it was a more complete rebuild - but as I said in a previous post - I do want to actually get this on the road this year, and I'm building a second motor on the side. For now, we have a new clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, cleaned up transmission. Motor has new front and rear main seals, timing set, water pump, oil pump, valve cover gasket, alternator and belt, oil and fuel filters, etc.. Also got the ceramic coated 6-1 headers installed. Waiting on my MSA mandrel bent system and Zstory JDM muffler.

I do have a Pallnet fuel rail, but decided to install the stock one for now until I get things up and running.

Wiring still a bit of a mess, but getting closer.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the process of reinstalling the fuel system this week, and came across a missing part. See attached picture from the FSM. I can't find any reference to this 'bracket' that the fuel tank strap bolt actually connects to. Specifically on the passenger side. Looks like it bolts thru on the front side. Anybody have any more information on this part?

Untitled-1.jpg

• 2 months later...

Some progress! Drivetrain buttoned up and now runs, drives and stops! Still a lot of tidying up to do on engine bay and as you can see from the photographs, fuel system isn't complete as there is some metal/bodywork to do around the filler area, and I still need to wire the fuel pump and find a new ignition relay.

Anyway, moved the car under its own power yesterday for the first time in almost 2 years and she sounds good! She's now in the bodyshop and will be there for the next approximately 6 weeks for body and exterior paint.

After that, going to a shop in Sacramento for a few button up items that I don't feel confident to tackle myself, with the hope of being on the road by end of the Summer!

IMG-0078.jpg

IMG-0077.jpg

IMG-0076.jpg

IMG-0075.jpg

IMG-0074.jpg

IMG-0073.jpg

IMG-0070.jpg

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, AZDatsun said:

I think your drivers side front tires tread pattern is facing the wrong direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite right, we swapped wheels around several times in the last few days without thinking about which side was correct!

Actually, that does bring up a problem I'm having: I can't find lug nuts that work correctly with the studs I have. The wheels are 15x8 so I bought these extended wheel studs:

https://zcardepot.com/collections/wheel-related/products/wheel-lug-studs-2-extended-racing-240z-260z-280z?_pos=6&_sid=2fd27b2a4&_ss=r

The rears are fine, but the nuts don't fit correctly on the front. Does anybody have a good set they would recommend?

3 hours ago, wheee! said:

Green cars rule...

While I do partly wish mine was as thorough a resto as yours, it has been almost 3 years, and I want to get on the road this year. I feel like I spent enough time and money properly fixing the metal and removing the rust, and anything else can still be improved upon later! 

• Like 1