IGNORED

[SOLD] A '77 280Z Needs a New Home $6K

mentalite

Well it's too late for me now, but if I were still looking, I would certainly take a look at your car. All things considered, it looks like it may be a better starting point to build on than what I ended up with. But that's water over the dam for me... I better stop thinking about it.  (So how much rust is there on the wheel arch? Did they miss that area with the rust preventative spray or what?)

So I'm absolutely no car buying or selling expert, but when it comes to Z's, it seems there are a couple different camps of buyers.

1) Those who want an early car  -  Your car cannot ever satisfy that family of buyers with a 280. They want a 240 only, and the earlier the better.

2) Those who don't car much about the year but want something that looks exotic. Customized. Fender flares, wheels, and lots of bling - Your car does not fit this category either.

2a) A sub category of the above would be those who are planning to rip it apart and turn it into something exotic looking. That group would be mostly concerned with price.

3) Those who want a factory stock car - Your car would be closest to this family, but unfortunately most of the buyers in this category are also in category #1 who want an early car. In other words... Everyone wants a factory stock 240. The demand for a factory stock 280 is much less.

4) Those who don't care much about anything except for the fact that they can get in and drive on day one without having to mess with it - Your car may also fit this category.

All that said, maybe you're marketing it wrong...  :ermm:  I wouldn't talk about the things that are wrong. I would tout the stock originality (original numbers matching and even has the original wheels and shift knob) and the fact that "if you're looking for something you can jump into and drive today, without having to mess with it." I would call it "a survivor".

My cut is 5%.  LOL

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

So I'm absolutely no car buying or selling expert, but when it comes to Z's, it seems there are a couple different camps of buyers.

Good summary of Z buyer mentalities.  Nissan put a lot of improvements into the 280Z's design, delivering a car that was a lot better daily driver than the original 240Z... and that was what was needed to hit the target market of the day.  Unfortunately, those improvements don't really matter to buyers of a 40-year-old 'classic car'. 

You want $6K for this?

I'll talk to the boss (my wife), if I can convince her, I'll buy it.  I'm in NJ.   I've owned a few Z's in my life time and I want another.  I currently have a 1984 Ferrari 308 and a 1966 Jag E-Type, so understand it will be a hard sell, but for this price I'm willing to bite the bullet.

Give me a few and I'll revert.

On 7/25/2018 at 6:57 AM, Captain Obvious said:

All that said, maybe you're marketing it wrong...

I bought a motorcycle because it caught it my eye, For Sale, in someone's front yard as I drove home from work.  Had to have it.  Wasn't even looking for one.

On 7/25/2018 at 9:57 AM, Captain Obvious said:

All that said, maybe you're marketing it wrong...  :ermm:  I wouldn't talk about the things that are wrong. I would tout the stock originality (original numbers matching and even has the original wheels and shift knob) and the fact that "if you're looking for something you can jump into and drive today, without having to mess with it." I would call it "a survivor".

My cut is 5%.  LOL

All very well said.  I also think you probably summed up the Z buyer categories perfectly.

I'm starting to get interest at 6K with a couple buyers scheduled to look at it.  I received nothing buy spam at 8K, so I guess I've learned where the marked is for a '77 280, at least in this area.  I expected more, but the market will usually be a reality check.

If it doesn't sell this weekend, I'll employ some of your advice, Captain.

Your car is an impulse buy.  Candy red sports car.  It's not the sensible buy of someone who has planned ahead, with any of CO's criteria.  Put it somewhere visible with a big For Sale sign and a link to the CL ad as contact info.

Hi,

Are you looking for a US buyer only?

I know how to import a Z, did it 2 years ago for my "77 Z from Cheasepeake, VA.

After taking care of mine, my carbody shop garage owner wants one!!!

I know how to arrange, pick-up + overseas shipping and overseas bank transfer.

Let me know and i will share picture with him (no english speaker)

by the way, nothing wrong with BCDD (removed?), AC blows cold, radio, clock and other dashboard stuff working OK?

No cracks in dash board cover?

Thanks. Seb

• 2 weeks later...

My Z has found the new home it needed.  Thanks for all of the interest.  A young man near Philly came and fell in love with it.  I am confident that he is going to be a good caretaker.

Maybe he'll show up here soon looking for advice.

• Like 2