IGNORED

A week in Japan

JSM

Looking  at taking a 2 week vacation next year, with a week out west and then a week in Japan. Both my daughter and son want to go to Japan. My daughter wants to see Disney and honestly I’m not sure why my son wants to go but he does. I know as a kid he grew up watching some Japanese cartoon. Son will be 25 and daughter 22 then. 

Likely a week isn’t enough to see everything, but what are some must see things to see while we’re there? Any Z related places to see?

I was going to drive cross county by myself, then it morphed into an rv trip with my family to not be so selfish, then I have to be realistic about how nutty we all are and how we can argue like cats and dogs over just choosing a meal.  So I’m trying to make it a special event for both kids of what they want to do to hopefully avoid some of that.  I don’t know.

I’ll be 50, son 25 and daughter 22. I figured this may be our last family vacation with them growing up so I’m trying to do a nice one. If I let them chose the destination, I think will have better success than some of our prior adult get aways. 

• I would like to ride a high speed train for sure in Japan.
  • Helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon. 

I’d be content with just doing those two things on the trip. 

13 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

History Garage is easy to get to in Tokyo. Here is current exhibition highlights. There are lots of other cars too... and if you walk through the corridor, you will find some rare books on the Z.

http://www.megaweb.gr.jp/article/1960s_japan/

Thanks. We told the kids tonight and they are both super excited. 

We were talking about just turning them lose and let them go there own way. Is that a good idea?

Not knowing much on Japan, are there seedy / sketchy areas of Japan I need to stay away from? 

26 minutes ago, JSM said:

Not knowing much on Japan, are there seedy / sketchy areas of Japan I need to stay away from? 

I can't say for sure but I can't imagine there are not! Pretty much all countries have some place you should stay away from

I think you might need to do some reading. I did a search for the 10 best things to do in Japan and got a ton of articles. So lot's of options. I would prefer to find quieter places and things to see, myself. Not really into tons of people, which makes some of these Asian countries a challenging destination for me

21 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I think you might need to do some reading. I did a search for the 10 best things to do in Japan and got a ton of articles. So lot's of options. I would prefer to find quieter places and things to see, myself. Not really into tons of people, which makes some of these Asian countries a challenging destination for me

Yeah doing that now. 

Im trying to figure out cell phone usage at the moment...

55 minutes ago, JSM said:

, are there seedy / sketchy areas of Japan I need to stay away from? 

Is a frog waterproof?

The town I live in as well as every town I've visited on four continents has those kind of areas.  However, like any place, just be aware of your surroundings, stay out of dark alleys, don't run up a bar tab, keep your wallet in your front pocket, and enjoy the tourist attractions.  When I traveled in Japan a few times, the people were pleasant and helpful in big cities and smaller, off the beaten path, areas.  Plenty to see, take lots of money.  LOL

Dennis

• Like 2

9 hours ago, psdenno said:

Is a frog waterproof?

The town I live in as well as every town I've visited on four continents has those kind of areas.  However, like any place, just be aware of your surroundings, stay out of dark alleys, don't run up a bar tab, keep your wallet in your front pocket, and enjoy the tourist attractions.  When I traveled in Japan a few times, the people were pleasant and helpful in big cities and smaller, off the beaten path, areas.  Plenty to see, take lots of money.  LOL

Dennis

What was the big drain on money? Just normal site seeing with so much to do or odd things you didn’t think of?

10 hours ago, JSM said:

McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Starbucks, Universal Studios Japan and Tokyo Disneyland.

Apart from that, you're pretty safe.

• Like 1

Am I delusional in thinking I can’t find part “X” for my Z31 in the states, so of course the country of origin will have it in stock?

My thought is that Nissan of Japan will want as much of the old parts out of their inventory and to countries that have the most units sold no?