IGNORED

918 percentage? paint suppliers?

hls3073z

It seems like most pix postings here are Mexican Orange, 918, including my 73.  I wonder what percentage of Z's from the early 70's era were orange?  maybe that color survived the best.  So far I've found that ppg deltron has that color in their list.  Any others?

PPG was the paint supplier for the Vintage Z program.  They have the colors for the early Zs.  What percentage were painted 918?  Anyone's guess as I have never seen any records.  What is interesting and fairly well documented is that color combinations were produced in multiple sequences or series of two or three.  For instance my two cars (26 and 27) are identical 907 green with butterscotch interiors.

• Like 3

Also, perhaps one of the reasons you see so many 918 cars is the color is iconic for the car & period.  People such as myself always wanted a 918 car.  Luck brought me to a clean 905 red car instead.  But I found a car in need of restoration and plan to paint it 918. So there's an example of one more in the world that didn't exist a year ago.

I remember the 918 and the 112 lime yellow from when I was a kid, uh back in the early 70s (still a kid), and I always wanted one.  A few years ago I finally had one.  The serial number starts with my birth year too.  That orange color is a 240 to me and the 305 light blue is a 280 in my mind.  There was more of those colors around here than any other. 

Your Sherwin Shop is not nearly as kind as ours is.  My son and I run Sakura Garage in Tempe, AZ - so, ya, we've had a shop account for years.  But we've sent several Regular Joe's down there to get help with their painting needs.  Here we also have a couple of Retail paint stores selling to the general public that also carry some Sherwin products along with all the other brands they Rep.  But, there's nothing wrong with Deltron!

I think the paint suppliers are kinda like auto parts suppliers were back in the 60's.  They thought that they were protecting their main customers (mechanics who do that for a living) by not being responsive to the man on the street.  Back then the parts houses routinely charged 2x for parts unless you were able to prove that you were actually buying the parts for "joe's Big Garage etc.  Not to mention the fact that they were reluctant to help you figure out the part you needed.  

I think the paint suppliers are kinda like auto parts suppliers were back in the 60's.  They thought that they were protecting their main customers (mechanics who do that for a living) by not being responsive to the man on the street.  Back then the parts houses routinely charged 2x for parts unless you were able to prove that you were actually buying the parts for "joe's Big Garage etc.  Not to mention the fact that they were reluctant to help you figure out the part you needed.  

Not sure of their full offerings but have you tried Affordable Auto Color or Tasco Auto Body Supply in Austin?

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile