IGNORED

1970 S/N 509 electrical problems

studegard

Trying to finish the project but I have an electrical problem that I'm been unable to make any progress on. I've had the combo light switch inspected and refurbished as needed.  I'm waiting for the turn  signal switch to be returned from also being checked. The problems I have seems to be a ground somewhere as the dash lights are very, very weak, bright light indicator does not work, headlights don't work. I have taillights, turn signals, backup lights but when I tighten down the side marker lights , I loose everything.  If my switches (light and  T/S) are OK then I guess my next step is to pull the dash and check the wiring harness. Where can I find the part number for the dash harness?

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thannks

4 minutes ago, studegard said:

dash lights are very, very weak, bright light indicator does not work, headlights don't work. I have taillights, turn signals, backup lights but when I tighten down the side marker lights , I loose everything.

What do you mean by "tighten down"?  Could mean many different things.

Your headlight problem might be at the dimmer switch in the turn signal stalk.  Pretty common.  Squirt some contact cleaner in to the base and work it or take it apart.  Make sure the ground wire is grounding.

The dash light problem could be the rheostat.  

There's a nice diagram on page BE-4.  Download it from here. https://www.classiczcars.com/files/category/11-240z/  I think that CanTechZ's is the "good" one, with individual files.

Trying to finish the project but I have an electrical problem that I'm been unable to make any progress on. I've had the combo light switch inspected and refurbished as needed.  I'm waiting for the turn  signal switch to be returned from also being checked. The problems I have seems to be a ground somewhere as the dash lights are very, very weak, bright light indicator does not work, headlights don't work. I have taillights, turn signals, backup lights but when I tighten down the side marker lights , I loose everything.  If my switches (light and  T/S) are OK then I guess my next step is to pull the dash and check the wiring harness. Where can I find the part number for the dash harness?
Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Thannks

Are you using the side marker kit. If so, you have to keep the socket from touching ground. The rubber insulates the sockets but the screw can short out to ground. You may need to insulate the screws that hold the side markers on.IMG_0925.JPG

Phil Smith

ZHead,

Thanks for the reply. "tighten down" means when I tighten the 2 screws that hold the side marker assembly to the fender. I've have new side marker assemblies, so after your post about the screws grounding, I compared the new assemblies with the old. Both are grounded at the socket and the complete assembly. The contact within the socket is not grounded. I guess I'm missing something.

I sent out the T/S switch to be rebuilt.  Was told by the shop that it was in poor condition.  I should get it back this week. We'll see what improvement it makes

Thanks again.

The bulb socket / reflector should fit into a groove in the rubber mount - the "ears" of the reflector should not be visible to the holes for the mounting screws.  When the screws pass thru the stainless retainer and lens into the mount, they should not be touching any part of the reflector as there should be a rubber wall around each screw.  The screw then attaches to the clip on the fender.  If all is well, the reflector is "floating" in the rubber mount and not grounded to the fender via the screws.  Hope this helps a bit.