motorman7

We're bringin' back the Flat Tops!

10 hours ago, motorman7 said:

For the needle alignment, I would think the one nub and three screws would get me pretty close...but probably not perfect, Depending on the screw and tab hole tolerance.

Agreed. (Without the suction piston installed) Put the cover on and put the three screws in but leave them loose enough that the cover can still rotate around the one existing cone nub. See how much play there is. Might be such that with the tolerance of the mounting screws combined with the single nub there might be very little play to worry about.

But if you do get energetic... I think all you would need is a steel rod with one end turned to be a precision fit into the hole through the suction piston cover, and the other end turned to be a precision fit into the carb body where the nozzle is installed. Remove the nozzle and then slip the rod into place and then put the chamnber cover on. The precision rod will align all the holes on the same centerline. Put the three screws loosely into place and then use a small syringe to inject epoxy into the alignment nub cavity to cast a new pin in place.

I wasn't there at the factory, but I've got a high degree of confidence they did something like that at the factory. You can even see the bubbles in the epoxy material in some of the pins where they didn't get all the air out. That looks like what happened to the intact pin on this body. Looks like a big air inclusion in the epoxy cone:
DSCF7333.JPG

And I wish I could point you in the right direction for that green coating. I've never looked into it. But with as common as it is, I'm sure there's info out there to be dug up.

Googled "throttleshafts,greencoating". The green coating appears to be Teflon. Here is one business that coat throttle shafts, Orion Industries, orioncoat.com. There are probably more.

53 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

Googled "throttleshafts,greencoating". The green coating appears to be Teflon. Here is one business that coat throttle shafts, Orion Industries, orioncoat.com. There are probably more.

Thanks for the lead.   This also looks promising and they are right down the road. 

http://www.olycoatings.com/dryfilm.html

http://www.olycoatings.com/thermo.html

I sent them an e-mail to get some more info.

• Like 1

Got a 260 intake manifold off of eBay in today.  It has several common parts that I am missing and seems to be in nice shape. Paint will need to be removed.

DSCF7334.JPG

DSCF7337.JPG

DSCF7338.JPG

DSCF7339.JPG

• Like 2

Great photos, the North American market sure did get some extra (emissions) stuff on this manifold compared to the European one.

On 12/17/2018 at 5:05 AM, RIP260Z said:

Sorry if I mis-lead regards throttle bushing not been there, its been a while since I looked.... keep up the good work.

No problem at all.  It really helps to have a second set of eyes looking things over.  With so many parts and all, it is easy to miss things.

And yes, definitely a few more smog items on the US '73 and 74 Z's.  Would be nice if there was a place to pick up some of these smog items  new/NOS.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

It's shiny... Too shiny.   (wink wink)   :ph34r:

I know, I know.....will have to get this bead blasted and the paint removed.....so many details.

@motorman7

My experience has been that NOS emissions parts for the 73/74Z are among the most difficult to find.

You've probably thought of this, but, the Aussie's had the 260z for several more years (till 78??) than us in the U.S. and many of the parts are the same.

I was thrilled to find a NOS EGR assembly from there for my 73 Zilver. Actually, as I got further into the restoration, parts came from all around the world (Kuwait, Turkey, Greece)

@Patcon } :geek:

You "might could did up" a contact to @Gav240z and enlist his help in finding a few of the items you need.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zup said:

You "might could did up" a contact to @Gav240z and enlist his help in finding a few of the items you need.

Warren from All Z Parts in Sydney / Hornsby would be the person to ask. He bought up a lot of Nissan's Old Stock years ago when it was going for a song and paid peanuts. He's been stuck with it and low balling S30Z tight arses ever since. It's made him somewhat cranky. Last time I called he told me off. It was Grand Final day (I'm not a football fan).

He can be slow and difficult to get things through, but I generally have had success buying hard to find items through him.

He does list on eBay from time to time.

21 hours ago, motorman7 said:

No problem at all.  It really helps to have a second set of eyes looking things over.  With so many parts and all, it is easy to miss things.

And yes, definitely a few more smog items on the US '73 and 74 Z's.  Would be nice if there was a place to pick up some of these smog items  new/NOS.  

Reading an old archived email conversing with someone else about bushes and flat-tops (and chroming the shaft, to build up the wear, then machine to fit), it seems that all the HMB46''s didn't get bushes, yours obviously did, maybe I am not mad and mine don't....

Yes, Warren can be slow, but you have to try all options. He has some parts on Ebay.com at the moment..(photos with a green rug behind!)

3 hours ago, RIP260Z said:

Yes, Warren can be slow, but you have to try all options. He has some parts on Ebay.com at the moment..(photos with a green rug behind!)

Can you send me a link to his ebay store?  Thanks.

Cleaned up the carb bodies today with Lacquer Thinner (my favorite solvent) and fine dremel wire wheel brushes. I didn't want to scratch anything.   Before and after pics (front and back actually) shown below.  I put the plungers back in the carb bodies after the pics to help protect the needle.

Got all the platable carb parts prepped to plate along with some of the remaining items that need to be plated.  Will mail those out to Sav-on plating here shortly.  This is about as far as I can go on the carbs until I get the plated parts back.  I think I will get started on the differential and half shafts tomorrow.  

DSCF7340.JPG

DSCF7342.JPG

DSCF7343.JPG

DSCF7351.JPG

DSCF7346.JPG

DSCF7348.JPG

DSCF7349.JPG

DSCF7354.JPG

Edited by motorman7
  • Like 3

How confident are you that they are the correct needles?

I know it can be a little risky (because of potential damage), but unless you are nearly 100% positive they are correct, you might want pull them out of the suction pistons and try to verify the needle number.

4 hours ago, motorman7 said:

Looks like both pins are N-62.

Perfect.

Only thing that catches my eye though is that it looks like there was some needle rubbing on the first needle pic? The shiny spot up near the hilt on this one? Is that just a trick of the light, or is that a rub spot?
DSCF7355.JPG

I will have to take it apart again and look. Actually surprised that my camera was able to get the close up pic. To the naked eye, it looked like N80. Once I saw the pic on the computer screen it was obviously N62. Will check both of the needles for any rubbing.

Sent from my C6902 using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Just checked. The needle is shiny like that the entire length down, all the way around, so it's probably not contact....I think. My guess is that the upper part is oxidized while the lower part is shiny since it is sitting in gas. Will post pics of entire needle tomorrow

Sent from my C6902 using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 1

Started clean-up work on the differential and half-shafts.  And...Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

DSCF7378.JPG

DSCF7380.JPG

Edited by motorman7
  • Like 2