IGNORED

We're bringin' back the Flat Tops!

motorman7

On 4/29/2019 at 1:02 PM, siteunseen said:

They do look like they'd be easy to make the only thing is that plastic collar's size.  

If you're up for making your own, those nylon spacers are available in plenty of common nominal inside diameters for  imperial bolt sizes and in varying heights/lengths at Lowe's in their hardware/project drawer aisle. They may even have metric too, but I can't remember.

27 bucks isn't a terrible price to pay for the piece if you don't want to d*** around making templates and wasting cut-off wheels and running around to get hardware... though the product for sale could have been designed a little neater (just me nitpicking).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Careless said:

27 bucks isn't a terrible price to pay for the piece if you don't want to d*** around making templates and wasting cut-off wheels and running around to get hardware

I'll second what Careless said here.

Art Singer in Rio Rancho, NM is the person responsible for bringing this to market in the numbers seen now. It used to be you made your own, the basic pattern and idea has been around for a long time.

Art started making them several years ago and selling them on E-bay. Al Allen (California Datsun) offers them now for an inflated price.  Art doesn't care, as Art sells them to him. LOL

Art will be at Zcon2019 in Branson.

What a character! He reminds me so much of Mario----as in the video game by the same name.

When you see Art at Branson, yell out loudly---

Art never pays!

It's a inside joke among the "repeat offenders" at Branson. ROFL

I'll clue you in when I see you there.

Art is also--more importantly-- the  graphic designer, chief editor, be-all, do-all of ZCCM. (Z Car Club Magazine)

ZCCM is a bi-monthly publication dedicated to the Z, loaded with very good photography and interesting story bios of Z car owners and their cars. Available on-line (6 issues) and as hardcopy (3 issues).

www.zcarclubmag.com

This is the end of my "in-thread" commercial for Art-----now back to your regularly scheduled topic programming.  :ok:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Careless said:

27 bucks isn't a terrible price to pay for the piece if you don't want to d*** around making templates and wasting cut-off wheels and running around to get hardware... though the product for sale could have been designed a little neater (just me nitpicking).

Yes, decided to go with the one from zcardepot.  It's more cost and time effective.  Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zup said:

I'll second what Careless said here.

Art Singer in Rio Rancho, NM is the person responsible for bringing this to market in the numbers seen now. ......snipped..cjb.......

Art is also--more importantly-- the  graphic designer, chief editor, be-all, do-all of ZCCM. (Z Car Club Magazine)

ZCCM is a bi-monthly publication dedicated to the Z, loaded with very good photography and interesting story bios of Z car owners and their cars. Available on-line (6 issues) and as hardcopy (3 issues).

www.zcarclubmag.com

-This is the end of my "in-thread" commercial for Art----now back to your regularly scheduled topic programming.  :ok:

I bought most of mine directly from Art as well.  Art did the Graphic Design for the cover of Mr. Uemura's English Language translation of his book.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/hitoshi-uemura/datsun-240z-engineering-development/paperback/product-22879948.html

This is the end of my "in-thread" commercial for Art-

• Like 1

lookin' damn noice! ?

for your fuel filter to fuel pump hose, and the hose that connects the rail that wraps around the rocker cover to the carbs, you can get that spiral wrapped rubber hose that looks damn near identical to the OEM stuff by going to a hydraulic hose outfitter and asking for gasoline safe hose that has no wire reinforcement. best to bring a sample with you.

there are two sizes on the car (forgetting right now, but i think 5/16 and 1/4), and both of them are usually stocked as they are common agricultural and industrial sizes. they should have white lettering painted on to denote the hose type/DOT compliance- but it can be removed without damaging the hose using brake cleaner, and some tire shine  or detail spray on the hose makes them come up nice and bright like the original ones.

lookin' for photos but coming up short, but i promise you'll like it more than regular fuel injection hose (and it's actually cheaper)!

Edited by Careless

44 minutes ago, Careless said:

for your fuel filter to fuel pump hose, and the hose that connects the rail that wraps around the rocker cover to the carbs, you can get that spiral wrapped rubber hose that looks damn near identical to the OEM stuff by going to a hydraulic hose outfitter and asking for gasoline safe hose that has no wire reinforcement. best to bring a sample with you.

Hi Careless,

Send me a link when you get a chance.  This is the stuff I ahave been using, which is the closest that I have found to the OEM.  http://newcoproducts.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=34_44_304

Yeah that's the stuff. Couldn't see the wrap detail in the photo I was looking at when zoomed in. I thought you were using the rubber with the mesh reinforcement that makes it look somewhat like diamond pleated rubber (if that makes any sense).

I don't really have a link for the hose I used because I just went to the hose supplier's sales counter, but it's identical to what you got there from cohline, just that Newco has (or had) a ridiculous minimum order price for Canadian buyers so I didn't buy from them, nor do I recommend anyone buy from them for that exact reason.

It's a poor business practice.

Edited by Careless

Got the intake and balance tube bead blasted.  I finished those off with a coat of matte clear to help with finger print removal.   I probably should have removed the gaskets before I had the bead blast done.  Noticed one damaged core plug in what looks to be the exhaust port of the balance tube.  Working with parts store now to replace all of the core plugs. 

Also got the fuel tank cleaned and sealed and the new exhaust bent and welded up.  Will post pics of those later.

20190513_070748 (1).jpg

20190513_070638.jpg

20190513_070734.jpg

20190513_070644.jpg

20190513_070803.jpg

20190513_070731.jpg

20190513_070634.jpg

20190513_070627.jpg

20190513_070627.jpg

Edited by motorman7

Here are pics of the exhaust system.  I brought an original exhaust system to my muffler guy and he replicated it using a Nissan resonator.  Downpipe and  Rear muffler with tip (not shown) are all from jdm-car-parts.com.  This is the same set-up I did on the previous build and it sounds great.

Got a couple of the core plugs replaced.

DSCF8007.JPG

DSCF8009.JPG

DSCF8012.JPG

DSCF8015.JPG

DSCF8018.JPG

DSCF8019.JPG

• Like 2

I'm not sold on the bead blast finish of the intake manifold. I have been using vapour blasting to refinish my alloy parts and wouldn't try anything else personally. I'm not sure how good these looked 50 years ago, but I feel these look better than new and that may be "over" restoring for some, but I'm more than happy with it.

IMG_20181122_174354.jpg

10 hours ago, motorman7 said:

Here are pics of the exhaust system.  I brought an original exhaust system to my muffler guy and he replicated it using a Nissan resonator.  Downpipe and  Rear muffler with tip (not shown) are all from jdm-car-parts.com.  This is the same set-up I did on the previous build and it sounds great.

Got a couple of the core plugs replaced.

DSCF8012.JPG

Great Job on that system!!  Would be interesting to see the replacement side by side with the original.   That Nissan Part Number shows up as "NLA" and part of a larger assy. How did your muffler man find it?  I have been hoping that someone would reproduce the resonators.....