IGNORED

Rust Advice 78 280z

gotham22

This is absurd, of course, but it sounded like a dry knock not a wet knock.  Check your damper/crank pulley.

I saw the rust title and the number of pages and can't really remember all of the details of this car and engine.  Might be worth writing up a new "state of the situation" post.

I did lash the valves before I put the engine back in but I will check again.  

As Zed Head suggested - here is the current situation

All the structural damage has been professionally repaired.  Engine ran fine before removal.  I did a compression test and it looked good.

Engine Work done:

new fuel injectors

oil pan gasket

lashed valves

replaced EGR

new oil filter

rear main seal

pilot bushing

new master cylinder for clutch and brakes

Transmission:

clutch fork

pivot ball

throw out bearing

new fly wheel and clutch

Suspension:

full rebuild of front suspension

rebuild of brakes

new wheel bearings

new hubs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gotham22 said:

right, I didn't touch those as they engine was running fine before removal

Just saying if you open it you should check anyway, catastrophic failure can occur if tight side wears too much.

I listened to the video again and I'm going to change my thought to finding a loose part under the valve cover.  A lash pad popped out or rocker arm came off or something.  You can see the engine shaking like it's running on 5.

I can already tell you that the lash on most of your valves is too tight. The back side (non-lobe side) of the lobes should never be clean like that. That's a sign that the valves are never completely closing and the base circle is rubbing all the way around.

And valves that never close can make some strange noises sometimes. I can hope that it's as simple as that?