IGNORED

Separate lower joint and pinion

Hello all,

Wondering if someone can give me some advice.  I am changing the complete set of front bushings.  I have the sway bar out and my next task was the steering rack.  I cant seem to get the lower steering joint separated from the pinion.  I have blasted it with penetrating fluid for two days and have tried heat.  I dont have any  leverage to separate them and I dont have enough room for a hammer.  Anyone have the same issue?  Any ideas.  

As you can see from the images I removed the loosening nut.

IMG_0948.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

I don't recall having to disconnect that for any of the bushings in the front suspension, but if you must I would try turning the steering wheel so the split section it up  and with the bolt out completely try to get a wedge in there and twist  back and forth some (not hammer on it) to see if you can open up some.

Thanks will try and let you know.  I would like to remove the rack completely to inspect and clean up.  Probably don't have to remove the whole thing to replace the bushings though as you said.  

I have an old friend that helps me with this task. It is a tire changing/dismounting/prying beast. I bought mine at Princess Auto. I'll bet Harbour freight has one too.

It has a tapered tip that is perfect to put in that split (where the bolt goes through) to spread that splined area and break the rust in there. Place the tip in the crack and hit it with a 2 lb sledge. Do not be nice.  Then use the other end to pry between the body of the rack and the end of the joint to slide it off of the splines. 

IMG_3428.PNG

But before you go applying force to things, I just have to ask... Do you have the room in the upwards direction for that thing to even move off the rack splines? Reason I ask is if that is the only bolt you have removed, it won't come off the rack because it has nowhere to go (up).

So... Did you take the bolt out of the upper end to make sure that intermediate shaft COULD move at all? Is the upper end frozen in place?

Ok, I forgot to mention that I normally have the rubber isolator apart at this point so the splines have somewhere to move. 

I know it seems like a lotta force, but I've had nothing but perfect success with this method and no broken or bent parts. Those rusty splines do not come apart with a little squit of WD-40 and a prayer....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...