IGNORED

280z air filter housing snorkle

Dave WM

• 2 months later...

Dave ,

The snorkel was Only used on Federal 77 and 78 cars. It lowers performance and emissions(the engineers assumed)

by the  engine breathing hotter under hood air. Only need in a ZCCA car show, or if you drive your car in massive flooding and

think you can make it when the water is 2 feet deep. I have had 2 customers '78 cars get flooded and bent rod engines in the 80's from

not turning around in a flood.

3 hours ago, Rising Sun said:

Dave ,

The snorkel was Only used on Federal 77 and 78 cars. It lowers performance and emissions(the engineers assumed)

by the  engine breathing hotter under hood air. Only need in a ZCCA car show, or if you drive your car in massive flooding and

think you can make it when the water is 2 feet deep. I have had 2 customers '78 cars get flooded and bent rod engines in the 80's from

not turning around in a flood.

I don't think that you can assume what the engineers were assuming.  You'd assume that engineers would have assumed the same with carbs and ran a snorkel out of the engine bay if they thought it would help.

Might be that it's just for lower intake noise.

Norkle, there was an overweight comic that did a whole skit on that word, I can't remember his name but I think he passed away not so long ago.

Found him, Ralphie May 

Edited by gwri8

29 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

My 76 Federal has a snorkel.  1/76 build date.

does yours also have a plastic plenum that connects from the rad support (where the snorkel terminates) and then back to the inside of the fender? (looks like a fresh air supply for the inside vent but not sure about that). If I were to hook up my snorkel it looks like it would pull air from inside the front passenger side fender. I scoped inside there once and it just opens up do dead air, not a supply all the way back to the vent.

No I don't have that, but I don't have the manual vents inside either.  For some reason cars with AC run all the fresh air through the blower system.  Very disappointing, it would be nice to have a simple manual fresh air source, besides the windows.  I've tried to figure out how I could transplant one over but haven't found a car to pull from.

My snorkel just pulls from the right front corner of the engine bay.  But I've disconnected it at the other end, like site did, just to get some intake honk.  That entrance hole seems so small, and the flow path tortuous.  I can feel that extra 1/10 HP...

image.png

• Like 1

seems like they where lots of changes, mine is ac car but who knows if it started out that way. I do have a single vent operated by the pull lever on the passenger side, I don't think there is room for one on the FI cars on the driver side. From the FSM it looks like the AC could have been a dealer installed option since they go thru great detail on how to install one. Or maybe in 75 (my year) they were all shipped from Japan with out the air and the only way to get it was thru the dealer install? there were also changes on the finisher covers under the dash, mine does not have it, but does have added vents from the heater IIRC the finishers on the later years would cover these up. The HVAC seemed to be evolving a lot in the 260-280 series.