IGNORED

JDM Legends on Velocity starting in April

JSM

I love seeing the Z love on TV, but personally, I liked the old days of cheap Z cars.  Everybody who owns a ratty Z now thinks they are sitting on a gold mine.  The days of building an affordable Z are unfortunately over.  I think that the skyrocketing Porsche 911 market is creating the huge demand for Z cars.  Those who can't spend $50k for a 911 are willing to pay $20k for a decent Z car.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JSM said:

I

They were using the 79-80 ZX match box style distributor. I think others have had issues with Rock Auto rebuilds. Who know who they are using. 

I bought mine from amazon.com about 4 years ago?  No problems so far but after writing this it'll stop working. :unsure:

You'll need the bigger cap and button plus the ZX coils are 1.5 OHMs.  I think mine is a Pertronix Flamethrower, it's black I know.  Also the spark plug gap is larger for the ZX ignition.  Pretty easy install using "Blue's Tech Tips".  Cranks just touching the key. :D

I am very happy with that upgrade.

so is it the distributer or the module? seems like a pretty simple device, the reluctor and a coil.  I hope its not for drama (will it start etc...). just show the restoration or build or what ever its called. I really like the old wheeler dealers when a lot of actual repair work was shown, seems like showing how to restore a vintage Z would be a great. I always get a bad feeling when all I see is a lot of grinding sparks and welding arc with no close up of what is actually going on.

Edited by Dave WM

Not too long ago there was a thread on that module. If i remember right he couldn't buy just the matchbox and ended up getting the whole dizzy? Then taking the module off maybe or swapping out the complete assembly. Can't recall exactly. I've wondered if the GM HEI would work in place of the e12-80? I know it works great on the 280Zs in place of that big box on the passengers foot well. Questions without answers, sorry.

I just watched the show last night. Two new distributors were bad? I highly doubt it. It was either tv drama or more likely something else was wrong. I noticed in a later clip that they were back to using a new distributor again.

Why put all that dynamat down to quiet the car but then not put it in the hatch area and also not put in a rear carpet? They also installed a fancy headliner but left off the vinyl that runs along the A pillar and roof. What's up with that? The tach and speedo are small for the openings and the other three were too far forward.

The editing could be better. He was driving the Toyota or some other car but showed a Z dash. The were some other inconsistencies too. He said they had (was it only 8 hours?) into fixing the two front fenders including paint. I don't see how that's possible especially since he was having so much trouble welding. It would have been quicker/cheaper to get a couple new fenders and work with them. Maybe that was to show their welding/body/paint skills on tv?

I'm a little OCD so I pick up on that stuff and it bothers me. lol. Anyway, I liked the show and set the DVR to record it. Is anyone here familiar with the shop? This is the first I've heard of them and I've been a Z guy for 30+ years.

Chuck