IGNORED

Imagine that!

siteunseen

1 hour ago, psdenno said:

It would be interesting to look through 100 year old newspapers to see if the same type of conversations occurred when cars started replacing horse & buggy transportation.  I guess we got through that in about a 25 year transition period.

Dennis

Killed by a car going 4 mph. LOL

Not a very quick woman.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/first-person-killed-by-a-car

17 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Killed by a car going 4 mph. LOL

Not a very quick woman.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/first-person-killed-by-a-car

All part of the "growing pains" of any emerging technology.  As they used to say in the early days of passenger flight back when flight attendants also had to be Registered nurses, "If God wanted us to fly, we woudda been born with boarding passes.".

• Like 1

The I Robot reference was philosophical. The robot who saved the lead character's life many years before. Calculated the odds and options, crunched all the numbers, ran multi-outcome scenarios... And then after all that, made a decision that wasn't human. The "logically correct" decision, but it was still wrong.

And we are still light years away from being able to have even THAT level of sophistication.

Kid and his dog run out into the street and unfortunately you have to hit one or the other.
Lose contact with the satellite for even just one second. That's 88 feet of travel on the highway.
EMI interference from the construction worker who just keyed his walkie-talkie on the side of the road.
Skid and/or spin recovery and mitigation.
Swerve into oncoming traffic, or dive for the shoulder?

They can pull my steering wheel from my cold dead hands.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 240260280 said:

Vehicle hitting woman was a Geely from China.

She was in a bike lane with a bike.

Here is where the woman with bike was hit. The Geely was obviously just entering the right turn lane.

You figure it out.

mar-19-uber.jpg

bike lane.jpg

The car was doing what it was programmed to do.  

The driver had it in "autopilot" mode apparently so he does bear some liability. :finger:

Rafaela Vasquez, 44, the operator of the Volvo, who was in the driver’s seat, reportedly had the car in self-driving mode when he struck a woman who was walking outside the crosswalk Monday

3 hours ago, psdenno said:

It would be interesting to look through 100 year old newspapers to see if the same type of conversations occurred when cars started replacing horse & buggy transportation.  I guess we got through that in about a 25 year transition period.

Dennis

We don't even need to go that far back, or look at other modes of transportation. There's been plenty of it with automobiles, too: seatbelts ("you want me to be trapped in my car if I get in a crash?"), stability control ("you really think some computers are going to do a better job of getting the car under control than I can?"), cameras ("I got my own two eyes!"), and plenty other automotive technologies have been met with skepticism over the years. Self-driving technology will be the same way.

20-30 years from now we'll explain to Those Damn Kids that "when I was your age, anyone 16 and over could be handed the keys to a 4,000lb chunk of high-speed metal that was entirely under their control." They'll ask "and it wasn't dangerous?" and we'll say "Of course it was! Thousands of people died every year. But we thought that was normal. You have to understand: it was a different time."

28 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

The I Robot reference was philosophical. The robot who saved the lead character's life many years before. Calculated the odds and options, crunched all the numbers, ran multi-outcome scenarios... And then after all that, made a decision that wasn't human. The "logically correct" decision, but it was still wrong.

And we are still light years away from being able to have even THAT level of sophistication.

Kid and his dog run out into the street and unfortunately you have to hit one or the other.
Lose contact with the satellite for even just one second. That's 88 feet of travel on the highway.
EMI interference from the construction worker who just keyed his walkie-talkie on the side of the road.
Skid and/or spin recovery and mitigation.
Swerve into oncoming traffic, or dive for the shoulder?

They can pull my steering wheel from my cold dead hands.

I think a lot more than just GPS goes into the car figuring out where to go. Lots of sensors and such on the car itself. GPS isn't gonna tell you there's an accident just ahead, or someone has suddenly braked, yet some cars being made right now have accident avoidance technology.

4 hours ago, rturbo 930 said:

I think a lot more than just GPS goes into the car figuring out where to go.

Oh, I'm sure there is lots more than just GPS involved. But it still not enough to take the place of sentient thought.

Which do you think the computer is gonna hit. The kid, or the dog?

The arguments about horses to cars to planes doesn't hold water with me. All of those transportation modes have one thing in common... They are (or at least are supposed to be) being controlled by sentient thought in real time. The driverless car is not.

How confident in the technology are you going to have to become before you're willing to put your wife and infant kid in the back seat, close the door, and wave goodbye as they head off two states over to go visit grandma?

Open the pod bay doors HAL.