IGNORED

1973 240z Fuel Not Flowing

Tirnipgreen

Hello...Newbie to Z-cars, Old hat with British Cars. I resurrected a 73 240z from my buddy's garage. His wife bought it new. When I first got it I drained the tank and put in a few gallons. No gas would flow so I blew out the fuel line from under the filter under the hood. I heard it "bubbling in the tank and it fired right up...! Every so often, I would have to do that line blowout and I could drive the car for 30 or so miles. Now even that won't get the gas to flow. I disconnected the fuel line from the metal line at the rear and gas is flowing. I blew out the line between the fuel filter and the back without it being attached to the tank. I blew into the tank without the gas cap on and it blew gas all over the place...! I disconnected the little return line above the "line out" hose at the tank and blew into the tank with the cap on and gas came out of the return line. I just can't get gas to flow to the fuel filter. On occasion it will flow and then recede back down the hose below the filter. I am pulling my hair out here in the north Georgia mountains....! Riley

Mechanical pump. I drained about a gallon of gas just now to see if there was debris in it and...NOTHING...! I was surprised to see it run so clear. Now there is gas in the filter and it runs...! But rough. I wounder if blowing on the return pipe pushed crap into the carbs....?

I would put a fram g2 clear plastic filter on the hose right out of the tank and watch it for a few days. My  '72 was tough, all the evap hoses made it harder. That filler hose isn't too bad. I've read of people softening them up with a hair dryer.

Good luck and here to help if you need any. I've done two with good results. Cliff

If you can't maintain a draw through the pump, consider two things

1. You have a bad fuel line that is letting in air.
  2. You have a bad fuel pump.

Also, are you sure you don't also have an electric fuel pump at the gas tank? That was fitted to a lot of 73s.