IGNORED

I hate Chinese "Metal"

Interesting thread. Now here’s the thing that worries me about these things: my friend had a brand spanking new F-Type with 20” wheels. After the second time the wheel had warped and been replaced under warranty, the Jaguar dealership told her that it’s her fault for living in London and that she’s taking speed humps the wrong way (@ less than 20mph) - she should be passing them under the middle of the car apparently. Kind of a poor excuse.

So even a company like Jaguar can have poor quality metal coming through their supply chain.

Speaking of big firms and quality issues, here’s one on a Volvo ...

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=972549

My 3.2 Audi was new to me by 3 days when I had to mount a 3 inch curb @30mph to avoid a bad collision with Stevie Wonder pulling out on me at the last second with 2m to go. Front left bent and that was when I discovered that the wheels were copies of the desirable and quite costly Audi Le Mans wheels. But it didn’t break, just deformed. We discovered a flat area in the wheel when we couldn’t get it to stop vibrating after balancing.

Here’s the external damage but the damage inside the wheel (the flat spot) was imperceptible until we took the tyre off.

d60aa090b8fbdae077a1352482aa936c.jpg

I often wonder if the genuine Audi wheels that are on there now would have fared any better in that situation? [emoji848]

This is the problem.... Chinese crap metal and fakes are getting in all the supply chains everywhere... when planes start falling out of the sky because of fake electronic etc.then hopefully it will be dealt with appropriately... until then we have to wait sadly.

I have two 2000 Honda Insights and crap Chinese replacement batteries are prevalent... they fail after a couple of years from strange manufacturing short cuts. Some people have paid ~ $3k for a set of crap!!! The original Panasonic from 20 years ago still last longer and are better to keep in and grid charge.

Don't dare buy a used expensive guitar without checking. MAINLAND Chinese fakes are everywhere... btw Made in Taiwan is totally different...low risk there.

The fake MF resistor saga - Page 3 - MUFF WIGGLER

Counterfeit transistors -

FAKE chinese-made capacitors | found on the net - I wanted t… | Flickr

Edited by 240260280
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

There's always a villain for each decade.....once upon a time, Japan was supposedly buying up huge quantities of scrap metal from which to produce cars and consumer goods....all this at a moment when they were investing incredibly strongly in there steel development and production which became the best in the world car exports went up - pocket radios, microwave ovens, walkmans (mostly plastic ok!) and their ship-building yards had huge order books filled.......the natural 'defense' of other countries was not to look at what they doing wrong, it was that Japan was 'cheating' by using any old iron'......."do you want your new toaster to be made from a 40yr old scrap Caddy ?''

Then it was the pastics invasion from Hong Kong - everything you could buy was "Made in HK''.

Then Eastern Europe, now China, soon Korea, India, Brazil and let's not foirget your specific markets by Mexico - I know, lets not just build a 'trade-wall' but a real one......I digress, sorry but whom do you guys believe you'll be protecting ?

a) the US consumer 

b) the US retailer

c) the US conglomerate

d) the foreign conglomerate

e) the poorly paid, hard working machine operative who only wants a better life for his kids and has the least say in the matter

f) all of the above

g) none of the above.......please develop !